1st Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry
1st Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry 9th Regiment Volunteers-1st Cavalry was organized at Camp Beauregard, Ridgeway, North Carolina, in August, 1861. Remaining troops surrendered at Appomattox Court House on 9 April 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company "B" - mostly from Northampton County
Company "C" - mostly from Mecklenburg County
Company "E" - mostly from Warrenton County
Company "F" - mostly from Cabarrus County
Company "G" - mostly from and Buncombe County
Company "H" - mostly from Wayne County
Company "I" - mostly from Duplin County
Information about the companies and their rosters are in Manarin and Jordan, North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 A Roster.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘North Carolina in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- North Carolina in the Civil War describes many sources, specifically for North Carolina, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Barringer, Rufus. The First North Carolina : a famous cavalry regiment. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082560
- Rea, D. B. Sketches from Hampton's Cavalry : embracing the principal exploits of the cavalry in the campaigns of 1862 and 1863. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082561
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- 1st North Carolina Regiment of Cavalry, (accessed 7 March 2011)
- Manarin, Louis H., and Weymouth T. Jordan. North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 A Roster. Vol 1. Raleigh, N.C.: State Dept. of Archives and History, 1966. FHL book975.6 M2nc Vol. 2