1st Regiment, Michigan Sharpshooters
The 1st Regiment, Michigan Sharpshooters was organized at Kalamazoo and Dearborn, Michigan, April 14 to October 7, 1863. It was mustered in on July 7, 1863. The regiment was mustered out on July 28, 1865, Washington D. C. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
The Civil War Archive section, 1st Regiment Sharpshooters, (accessed 21 July 2012).
The Wikipedia article, 1st Regiment Michigan Volunteer Sharpshooters gives a brief history of the unit including places served, battles fought and commanders, (accessed 21 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestorwas in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Michigan in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Michigan, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Herek, Raymond J. "These Men Have Seen Hard Service: The First Michigan Sharpshooters in the Civil War" (Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 1998) pages 551. FHL Book 977.4 M2ht . Other Libraries. Digital version at google books. This book gives a history of the 1300 men of the First Michigan Sharpshooters beginning with mustering in to the death of the last rifleman in 1946.
- Johnson, Crisfield. "History of Hillsdale County, Michigan With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers" (Philadelphia: Everts & Abbott, 1879. ) pages 69-70. Gives History of this regiment with Roster of soldiers and officers from Hillsdale County. Other Libraries. Digital version at google books.
- Wilson, Victoria. "Michigan Indians in the Civil War: Members of Company K, 1st Michigan Sharpshooters" (Grawn, Michigan: Roundsky Press, 1997) pages 21. FHL Book 977.4 M2w. Other Libraries
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 November 2010).