1st Regiment, Massachusetts Heavy Artillery
The 1st Regiment, Massachusetts Heavy Artillery was organized as 14th Massachusetts Infantry July 5, 1861, and was mustered out June 29, 1865, and discharged at Readville, Mass., July 24, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 1st Regiment Heavy Artillery, (accessed 9 July 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 1st Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Heavy Artillery, (accessed 9 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Massachusetts in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Massachusetts in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Massachusetts, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Frye, James Albert. The First Regiment, Massachusetts Heavy Artillery, United States volunteers, in the Spanish-American War of 1898 : with regimental roster and muster rolls. (Boston, Massachusetts : Colonial Co., 1899), FHL book 974.4 M2fj.
- Roe, Alfred Seelye. History of the First Regiment of Heavy Artillery Massachusetts Volunteers, formerly the Fourteenth Regiment of Infantry, 1861-1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL Fiche 6083059 and (Washington [District of Columbia] : Filmed by the Library of Congress Photoduplication Service, 1988), FHL film 1550231 and The Melvin memorial : Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, Concord, Massachusetts; a brother's tribute; exercises at dedication June 16, 1909. (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1979), FHL Film 1016937 Item 14 and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL Fiche 6083060.
- Internet Archives Book Online, History of the First Regiment of Heavy Artillery Massachusetts, (accessed 5 April 2013).
- Civil War in the East,1st Massachusetts Heavy Artillery Regiment, (accessed 5 April 2013).
- ©2012, Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum Page 1 1ST REGIMENT MASSACHUSETTS VOLUNTEER HEAVY ARTILLERY , (accessed 5 April 2013).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).