19th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 19th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was formed with Four Chicago Companies mustered into State service at Camp Yates May 4, 1861. The Regiment organized at Chicago, Illinois, and mustered in June 17, 1861.
They moved to Chicago June 8-17 and mustered out July 9, 1864; expiration of term..
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 19th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 14 June 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 19th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 15 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company H - many men from Rock Island County and Henry County - Rock Island and Henry county web site -
- Unassigned Recruits -
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Illinois in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Illinois in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Illinois, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861-1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 19th Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).