18th Regiment, Ohio Infantry
The 18th Regiment, Ohio Infantry mustered in August 16 to September 28, 1861 at Athens, Ohio. They were mustered out November 9, 1864. 
For more information on the history of 18th Ohio Infantry see the following:
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 18th Ohio Infantry
- The Civil War Archive section, 18th Regiment Infantry (3 years), (accessed 29 August 2012).
- The wikipedia article, 18th Ohio Infantry, (accessed 12 October 2011)
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - Some men from Highland County
- 18th Ohio Regiment Infantry (3 years), Civil War Index, which includes history, battles, and roster with name, rank, age, date entered service, period of service and remarks.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- History of Ross and Highland Counties, Ohio (Cleveland, Ohio: Williams Bros, 1880). p. 99
- History of Washington County, Ohio: with illustrations and biographical sketches (Knightstown, Indiana: Bookmark, 1976).
- J.A. Caldwell, History of Belmont and Jefferson Counties, Ohio (Wheeling, W.Va: Historical Publ. Co., 1880). p. 450
- Charles Robertson, History of Morgan County Ohio, with portraits and biographical sketches of some of its pioneers and prominent men (Chicago: L.H. Watkins & Co, 1886).