187th Regiment, Ohio Infantry
The 187th Regiment, Ohio Infantry was organized at Camp Chase, Ohio, and mustered in March 2, 1865. They were mustered out January 20, 1866.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 187th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 6 September 2012).
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 187th Ohio Infantry
- Ohio Civil War Central, 187th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, (accessed 31 October 2016)
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - Many men from
Company C - Many men from
Company E - Many men from
Company G - Many men from Morrow County
Company H - Many men from
Company I - Many men from
Company K - Many men from
Company L - Many men from
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- The History of Union County, Ohio, Containing a History of the County, its Townships, Towns ... Military record, (Chicago: W.H. Beers: 1883), part IV, page 521. Digital version: Internet Archive, accessed 4 December 2012.
- William Brothers, History of Franklin and Pickaway Counties, Ohio (Indiana: Unigraphic, 1974). p. 143.
- Abraham J Baughman, Robert Franklin Bartlett, History of Morrow County Ohio, (Chicago - New York: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1911), page 170. - internet Archives