186th Regiment, Ohio Infantry
The 186th Regiment, Ohio Infantry was organized at Camp Chase February, 1865. Ordered to Columbus, Ohio, September 19, and mustered out September 25, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 186th Ohio Infantry
- The Civil War Archive section, 186th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 6 September 2012).
- Ohio Civil War Central, 186th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, (accessed 31 October 2016)
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company C - many men from Crawford County
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- fckLRHistory of Crawford County, Ohio, page 506
- William Brothers, History of Franklin and Pickaway Counties, Ohio (Indiana: Unigraphic, 1974). p. 142.
- Noble County Historical Society, History of Noble County, Ohio: with portraits and biographical sketches of some of the pioneers and prominent men (Evansville, Indiana: Unigraphic, 1975).