17th Regiment, New Hampshire Infantry
Organization of the 17th Regiment New Hampshire Infantry commenced November 19, 1862; not completed, and the two Companies formed were transferred to the 2nd New Hampshire Infantry, April 16, 1863. 
For more information about the 17th Regiment, New Hampshire Infantry and its history, see:
- Charles Nelson Kent, History of the Seventeenth regiment, New Hampshire volunteer infantry, 1862-1863, Concord, New Hampshire:Seventeenth New Hampshire Veteran Association, 1898. Available online at Google Books, (accessed 11 Mar 2011). Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Book 974.2 M2ke, or FHL US/CAN Fiche 6083302.
- New Hampshire Infantry Page, (accessed 11 Mar 2011). New Hampshire Heritage
- Seventeenth New Hampshire Regiment Rosters, (accessed 11 Mar 2011). This is not a complete roster.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Connecticut in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Connecticut in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Connecticut, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Footnote.com, (accessed 1 Apr 2011). (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- Otis F.R. Waite, New Hampshire in the Great Rebellion. (Claremont, New Hampshire: Tracy, Chase & Co., c1991), Page 535. Available online with Google Books, (accessed 11 Mar 2011). Also found at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Book 974.2 M2w. This book shows a list of the field, staff and company officers, and the official record of each.
- Augustus D. Ayling, Adjutant General. Revised register of the soldiers and sailors of New Hampshire in the War of the Rebellion, 1861-1866. (Concord, New Hampshire : Ira C. Evans, 1895),Available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Book 974.2 M23nh, or FHL US/CAN Film 1697872, Item ;1-2. Book contains a good summary of each New Hampshire regiment. Also contains alphabetical that list the birth place, age or enlistment, place of residence at the time of enlistment.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010.