176th Regiment, Ohio Infantry
The 176th Regiment, Ohio Infantry was organized at Camp Chase, Ohio, August 10 to September 21, 1864. They mustered in September 21, 1864. They were mustered out June 18, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 176th Ohio Infantry
- The Civil War Archive section, 176th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 6 September 2012).
- Ohio Civil War Central, 176th Regiment Volunteer Infantry, (accessed 26 2016).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - Many men from Franklin County
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- William Brothers, History of Franklin and Pickaway Counties, Ohio (Indiana: Unigraphic, 1974). p. 137.
- History of Lorain County, Ohio: with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers (Philadelphia: Williams Bros. 1879) p. 99.
- Noble County Historical Society, History of Noble County, Ohio: with portraits and biographical sketches of some of the pioneers and prominent men (Evansville, Indiana: Unigraphic, 1975).