16th Regiment, Maine Infantry
The 16th Regiment, Maine Infantry was organized in Augusta, and mustered in: August 14, 1862. They mustered out: June 5, 1865, with recruits transferred to 20th Maine Infantry 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 16th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 30 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 16th Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 6 July 2012).
List of men in 16th Regiment Infantry at Ancestry.com $
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - roster with age, rank and residence
Company B - many men from Augusta and Gardiner roster with age rank and residence
Company C -roster with age, rank and residence
Company D -roster with age rank and residence
Company E -roster with age rank and residence
Company F - roster with age rank and residence
Company G - roster with age rank and residence
Company H - roster with age rank and residence
Company I - roster with age rank and residence
Company K -roster with age rank and residence
Field and Staff - roster
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Maine in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Maine in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Maine, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Company D, 16 Maine Vols.: a brief history of the individual services of its members, 1862-1865 Internet Archive American Libraries Includes a description of activities of the 16th Maine Infantry Regiment in the following battles or localities: Antietam, Maryland; Fredericksburg, Virginia; Chancellorsville, Virginia; Gettysburg, Pennsylvania; Mine Run, Virginia; Wilderness, Virginia; Spotsylvania, Virginia; North Anna, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; Hatcher's Run, Virginia; Five Forks, Virginia.
- Andrews, H. F. (Henry Franklin). Company D, 16 Maine Vols. : a brief history of the individual services of its members, 1862-1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083003
- The Sixteenth Maine Regiment in the War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865 Google Books
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).