16th Regiment, Indiana Infantry
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, May 27 to August 19, 1862 and they mustered in August 19, 1862. It was mustered out June 30, 1865 at Kentucky. The Veterans and Recruits transferred to 13th Indiana Cavalry.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 16th Regiment Infantry (3 Years), (accessed 2 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 16th Regiment Indiana Infantry (3 years), (accessed 20 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Staff - see Roster
- Reorganized Officer - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Shelby County - see Roster on page 308
- Company A - Reorganized Soldier of Fayette County - see Roster on page 323
- Company B - many men from Wayne County - see Roster on page 310
- Company B - Reorganized Soldier of Washington County - seeRoster on page 325
- Company C - many men from Floyd County - see Roster on page 311
- Company C - Reorganized Soldier of Rush County - see Roster on page 327
- Company D - many men from Ripley County - see Roster on page 312
- Company D - Reorganized Soldier of Lawrence County - see Roster on page 328
- Company E - many men from Fayette County - see Roster on page 314
- Company E - Reorganized Soldier of Dearborn County - see Roster on page 330
- Company F - many men from Rush County - see Roster on page 315
- Company F - Reorganized Soldier of Miami, Hamilton, Marion, Putnam, and Wabash counties - see Roster on page 332
- Company G - many men from Dearborn County - see Roster on page 316
- Company G - Reorganized Soldier of Rush County - see Roster on page 334
- Company H - many men from Shelby County - see Roster on page 318
- Company H - Reorganized Soldier of Rush County - see Roster on page 336
- Company I - many men from Dearborn County - see Roster on page 319
- Company I - Reorganized Soldier of Miami, Hamilton, Marion, Putnam, Vigo, and Wabash counties - see Roster on page 337
- Company K - many men from Putnam County - see Roster on page 320
- Company K - Reorganized Soldier of Madison , Sullivan, Boone, Dearborn, Wells, Hamilton,Marion, Henry, and Wabash counties - see Roster on page 339
- unassiged recuits - Roster on page 322
- unassiged recuits - Reorganized Soldier - see Roster 341
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 16th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site.
- Reorganized Company A, K - many men from Madison County 
- Companies B, C, and D - many men from Posey County 
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 16th Regiments, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on 16th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana.
- 16th Indiana Infantry Regiment (accessrd 30 Dec 2010) timeline
- Jordan, William H. (Lt.), et al. "The 16th Indiana Regiment in the Last Vicksburg Campaign" (ed. Willie D. Halsell, Indiana Magazine of History 43, no. 1 (March 1947): 67-82.) 1863-1864, Dearborn County (Manchester), 16th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF (accessed 07 Apr 2011)
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- "Military History" Chapter 17 in FORKNER, J. L. R. (1970). History of Madison County, Indiana; a narrative account of its historical progress, its people and its principal interests. (Evansville, Ind, Unigraphic.), (page 283-308, Regiment,Companies, Name's) other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
- "Military History" Chapter 6 in Goodspeed Publishing Co. 1974. History of Posey County, Indiana: from the earliest time to the present, with biographical sketches, reminiscences, notes, etc., together with an extended history of the Northwest, the Indiana Territory, and the State of Indiana. (Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic). (page 441-445),977.234 H2h FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ACHIVE