156th Regiment, Indiana Infantry
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, April 12, 1865. It was guard and patrol duty at various points in the Shenandoah Valley till August. They mustered out August 4, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
The Civil War Archive section, 156th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 25 May 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Marion, Boone, and Putnam counties - see Roster on page 650
- Company B - many men from Switzerland, Boone, Wayne, and other counties - see Roster on page 651
- Company C - many men from Decatur and Ripley counties - see Roster on page 653
- Company D - many men from Putnam, Vigo counties - see Roster on page 654
- Company E - many men from Vigo, Putnam, and Sullivan counties - see Roster on page 655
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 657
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 156th Battalion, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 05 Feb 2011 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief histories of the 156th Regiments, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 156th Regiment, Indiana Infantry
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 156th Indiana Infantry Regiment (accessed 30 Dec 2010) timeline
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).