14th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry
The 14th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry was organized at Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, and it was mustered in January 30, 1862. It moved to Mobile August 27 and had duty there until October. It was mustered out October 9, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 14th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 16 November 2012).
- The Wikipedia Article, 14th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 16 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following company links are to rosters taken from Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers, found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Unassigned Recruits Roster page 803.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Wisconsin in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Wisconsin in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Wisconsin, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Engle, Francis E. Worden's Battalion and Company E of the Fourteenth Wisconsin Veteran Volunteer Infantry : paper prepared for reunion of regiment, Fond du Lac, June 8, 9 and 10, 1904. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118376.
- Hancock, John. The Fourteenth Wisconsin, Corinth and Shiloh, 1862-1895 : paper on the battle of Shiloh. FHL fiche 6118377.
- Hetzel, Bev. Wisconsin deaths at Shiloh, Tennessee. (West Bend, Wisconsin : B. Hetzel, [199-?]), FHL book 977.5 M2het.
- Magdeburg, Frederick H. Worden's Battalion : paper read by Capt. F. H. Magdeburg at the first annual reunion of the 14th Wisconsin Veteran Vol. Infantry, held at Fond Du Lac, Wis., Wednesday and Thursday, June 16-17, 1886. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118378.
- Tucker, William H. The Fourteenth Wisconsin Vet. Vol. Infantry (General A. J. Smith's command) in the expedition and battle of Tupelo : also, wanderings through the wilds of Missouri and Arkansas in pursuit of Price. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118380 and The Fourteenth Wisconsin Vet. Vol. Infantry, October 1st, 2d, 3d and 4th, 1862 at the battle of Corinth. FHL fiche 6118381.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Wisconsin. Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers, War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865. Volume I. Madison: Democrat Printing Company, State Printers, 1886.