13th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 13th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry was organized at Janesville, Wisconsin, and it was mustered in October 17, 1861. It was in San Antonio, Texas, until November. It was mustered out November 24, 1865
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 13th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 16 November 2012).
- The Wikipedia Article, 13th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 16 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following company links are to rosters taken from Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers, found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Unassigned Recruits Roster page 769.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Wisconsin in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Wisconsin in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Wisconsin, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Lovejoy, Daniel B. From youth to age, adventures in a varied career : including early times in New York, Dakota in early days, pioneering in the wilderness and life with the 13th Wisconsin Infantry during the Rebellion. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993) FHL Fiche 6118375
- Lyon, William Penn. Reminiscences of the Civil War. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL Fiche 6118357.
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Wisconsin. Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers, War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865. Volume I. (Madison: Democrat Printing Company, State Printers, 1886)