13th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 13th Regiment, Illionois Infantry was organized at Dixon, Ill., and mustered into State service April 21, 1861. Mustered into U. S. service by Capt. John Pope May 24, 1861, being the first three years Regiment from Illinois mustered into U. S. service.
It was mustered out June 18, 1864. .
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 13th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 14 June 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 13th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 14 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Unassigned Recruits -
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Illinois in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Illinois in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Illinois, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States. Army. Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment, 13th (1861-1864),Military history and reminiscences of the Thirteenth Regiment of Illinois Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War : in the United States, 1861.(Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993) FHL Fiche 6084202
BOOKS AND FLIMS
- United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 13th. The history of the 13th Illinois Infantry. (Salt Lake City : Digitized by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 2011), FHL Digital Version.
- United States. Army. Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment, 13th (1861-1864). Military history and reminiscences of the Thirteenth Regiment of Illinois Volunteer Infantry : in the Civil War in the United States, 1861-1865. (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 2006), FHL Fiche 6209830.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).