12th Regiment, Ohio Cavalry
The 12th Regiment, Ohio Cavalry mustered in November 24, 1863 at Cleveland, Ohio. They were mustered out November 14, 1865. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 12th Ohio Cavalry
- The Civil War Archive section, 12th Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 23 August 2012).
- Ohio Civil War Central, 12th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Cavalry (1863 - 1865), (accessed 26 October 2016).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- 12th Regiment, Ohio Cavalry, Civil War Index, which includes history, battles, and roster with name, rank, age, date entered service, period of service and remarks.
- 12th O. V. C. Association. Reunion 34th : 1919 : Columbus, Ohio). Minutes of the 34th annual reunion of the 12th O. V. C. Association : held in Memorial Building, Columbus, Ohio, September 9, 1919. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118124
- Frank H. Mason. The Twelfth Ohio Cavalry : a record of its organization and services in the War of the Rebellion : together with a complete roster of the regiment. (Cleveland, Ohio : Nevins' Steam Print. House, 1871). Digital version on Internet Archive. Also on FHL fiche 6118125 and FHL 1film 688760 Item 17
- Sheldon, R. H. History of the Twelfth Ohio Cavalry. (Philadelphia: Grand army scout and soldiers' mail, 1885). Libraries with book.
- United States. Army. Ohio Cavalry Regiment, 12th (1861-1865). Proceedings of the 1st, 22nd through 25th annual reunions, 12th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry. (Columbus, Ohio : Filmed by the Ohio Historical Society, 1988), FHL film 1688760 Items 13-16
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Frank H. Mason, The Twelfth Ohio Cavalry : a Record of its Organization and Services in the War of the Rebellion : Together with a Complete Roster of the Regiment, (Cleveland, Ohio : Nevins' Steam Print. House, 1871), p. 12.
- History of Hancock County, Ohio : containing a history of the county, its townships, towns, villages,..., (Chicago : Warner, Beers and Co., 1886), p. 339. Digital version in Internet Archive. Also on FHL film 931795