12th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
This Unit was organized at Kendallville, Indiana, and Michigan City, Indiana, December 10, 1863, to April 28, 1864. They mustered out at Vicksburg, Mississsippi, November 10, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 12th Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 27 May 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from La Porte, Boone, St. Joseph, and Porter counties - see Roster on page 235
- Company B - many men from DeKalb, Noble,La Grange, and Steuben counties - see Roster on page 236
- Company C - many men from Noble, Steuben,La Grange, and DeKalb counties - see Roster on page 238
- Company D - many men from Elkhart County - see Roster on page 240
- Company E - many men from Marshall County - see Roster on page 241
- Company F- many men from Cass, Jasper, White, and La Porte counties - see Roster on page 242
- Company G - many men from Lake and La Porte counties - see Roster on page 244
- Company H - many men from St. Joseph and Marshall counties - see Roster on page 245
- Company I - many men from La Grange,Kosciusko, Noble, Whitley, Allen, Elkhart, and DeKalb counties - see Roster on page 247
- Company K - many men from White, Pulaski, Jasper, and Newton counties - see Roster on page 248
- Company L - many men from Miami County - see Roster on page 250
- Company M - many men from Miami, Porter, La Porte, and La Grange counties - see Roster on page 251
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 253
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 127th Indiana Regimen / 12th Indiana Cavalry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 29 Jan 2011)
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 12th Regiments, Indiana Cavalry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 12th Reiment, Indiana Cavalry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 12th Indiana Cavalry (accessed 31 Dec 2010) Roster (give name, county, company) and history of 12th Indiana Cavaly or 127th Indiana Regiment.
- Company "H", Twelfth Cavaly (accessed 31 Dec 2010) was principally made up from St Joseph country. On page 729 on this book, give person from St. Joseph Country. Howard, Timothy Edward, A History of St. Joseph County, Indiana (Chicago, Illinois : Lewis Publishing Company, 1907 ) FHL US/CAN Book 977.289 H2h v.2 pt .2 FHL 1550208 Other libraries with this book
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).