115th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (6 months, 1863-4)
Organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, and mustered in for 6 months service August 13, 1863. Guard and patrol duty in East Tennessee till February, 1864. Mustered out February 25, 1864.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 115th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
Company A - many men from Greene County - see Roster on page 41
Company B - many men from Parke County - see Roster on page 42
Company C - many men from Putnam County - see Roster on page 43
Company D - many men from Clay County - see Roster on page 45
Company E - many men from Vermillion County - see Roster on page 46
Company F- many men from Sullivan County - see Roster on page 47
Company G - many men from Spencer County - see Roster on page 49
Company H - many men from Putnam County - see Roster on page 50
Company I - many men from Putnam County - see Roster on page 52
Company K - many men from Vigo County - see Roster on page 53
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 29 Jan 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief with history of the 115th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 115th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).