111th Regiment, Indiana Infantry
This Unit was organized July 13, 1863, to repel the Morgan Raid. They mustered out July 15, 1863.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Delaware County - see Roster on page 2
- Company B - many men from Hamilton County - see Roster on page 3
- Company C - many men from Fayette County - see Roster on page 4
- Company D - many men from Delaware County - see Roster on page 6
- Company E - many men from Howard County - see Roster on page 7
- Company F- many men from Delaware County - see Roster on page 8
- Company G - many men from Monroe County - see Roster on page 9
- Company H - many men from Rush County - see Roster on page 9
- Company I - many men from Delaware County - see Roster on page 10
- Company K - many men from Montgomery County - see Roster on page 11
- Company L - many men from Fayette County- see Roster on page 13
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 111th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 29 Jan 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 111st Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipendia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 111st Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- The Civil War Archive, information is from A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, by Frederick H. Dyer, histories, diaries, etc., (accessed 6 December 2010).
- "The War For The Union" in History of La Porte County, Indiana: together with sketches of its cities, villages, and townships, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history; portraits of prominent persons and biographies of representative citizens. History of Indiana embracing accounts of the pre-historic races, aborigines, French, English and American conquests, an a general review of its civil, political and military history. (2004. La Crosse, WI: Brookhaven Press.), (page 227; history of Regiment),977.291 H2h FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraries Google books INTERNET ARCHIVE