10th Regiment, New Jersey Infantry
10th Regiment, New Jersey Infantry was organized at Beverly, New Jersey, October 9, 1861, under authority of the War Department, as the "Olden Legion.They mustered out at Hall's Hill, Virginia, June 22, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 10th Regiment Infantry "Olden's Legion", (accessed 20 July 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 10th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry, (accessed 20 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- For more information on the 10th New Jersey Infantry (accessed 8 March 2013)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New Jersey in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New Jersey in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New Jersey, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Weiser, George. Nine months in rebel prisons. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992), FHL fiche 6083457
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).