Ėrivan Gubernia, Russian Empire Genealogy
Guide to Ėrivan Gubernia, Russian Empire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, and tax records.
|Ėrivan Gubernia Wiki Topics|
|Russian Empire Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Historical Background[edit | edit source]
Ėrivan Gubernia [province] was one of the gubernias in the Caucasus Viceroyalty, centered in modern-day Yerevan. In 1828, the area was annexed as part of the Armenian Oblast. It was later established as a gubernia in 1850, and abolished in 1917. This gubernia roughly covers most of what is currently modern central Armenia, the Nakhichevan Exclave of Azerbaijan, and the Iğdır Province in Turkey.
Getting Started[edit | edit source]
Before jumping into records for this province, you MUST know the name of the village in which your ancestor lived.
Once you have the name of a village you believe was located in this province, take the following steps:
1. Identify the standard spelling of the town using the 1880 gazetteer. (See the Ėrivan Gubernia Gazetteers page.)
2. Use the 1880 gazetteer and maps to determine the approximate location of the village. (See the Ėrivan Gubernia Maps page.)
3. Check to see if there are tax lists available for the village of interest for a relevant time period. If so, follow the family through the tax lists starting with the most recent relevant list and work backwards. (See the Ėrivan Gubernia Taxation page.)
4. Determine if there are religious records available for the village. Use religious records to supplement and verify information found in the tax lists. Keep in mind that the closest religious center (i.e. churches, mosques, etc.) may be in a nearby village so check the 1880 gazetteer to see if any villages nearby had religious centers. (Caution! The 1880 gazetteer sometimes does not note that a village had a religious center even when it did. Use the tips on the Ėrivan Gubernia Religious Records page to check for religious records just in case!)
If you have specific questions about research in the Ėrivan province, post your questions to the FamilySearch Community - Russian Empire Genealogy Research group.
Historical Geography[edit | edit source]
Districts[edit | edit source]
|District - English||District - Russian|
More Research Strategies and Tools[edit | edit source]
Online Classes[edit | edit source]
- Фестиваль ГенЭкспоЮг (8:33:08 - Соня Мирзоян (Ереван, Армения) "Документы общественно-благотворительных организаций Юга России как источник по генеалогии")
- Reading Russian Documents: The Russian Alphabet - Ellie Vance
- Deciphering the Handwriting and Understanding the Grammar - Ellie Vance
- Russian Alphabet, Language and Handwriting Part 1 - Heather Stewart, BA
- Russian Alphabet, Language and Handwriting Part 2 - Heather Stewart, BA
References[edit | edit source]