Östra Strö Parish, Malmöhus, Sweden Genealogy
Guide to Östra Strö Parish, Sweden ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 History
- 2 Place Names
- 3 Collections
- 3.1 Census Records
- 3.2 Church Records
- 3.3 Military Records
- 3.4 Related Sources
- 3.5 Help Reading Swedish Records
- 3.6 Help Reading Old Handwriting
- 3.7 Help With Research Objectives and Strategies
- 3.8 References
This parish was known as Strö up until 1885 (in Frosta härad.) After 1885 the name was changed to Östra Strö.(write information such as: how old the parish is, interesting facts about the parish, what alternate names it has, or any boundary changes.)
|Östra Strö Parish, Malmöhus, Sweden Genealogy|
|Pastorat||about 1600-1929 Skarhult, -1929 Östra Strö and Skarhult, 1929-1961 Östra Strö, Skarhult, Borlunda and Skeglinge, 1962- Gårdstånga|
|Tingslag||1877-1915 Frosta härad, 1916- Frosta and Eslövs domsaga|
|Domsaga||-1876 Frosta and Färs härader, 1877-1915 Frosta härad, 1916-1970 Frosta and Eslövs härader, 1971- Eslöv|
|Fögderi||1918-1946 Sjöbo, 1946- Eslöv|
|Kommun||1952-1970 Skarhult, 1971- Eslöv|
|Militär indelning||Norra Skånes RegementeFrosta Kompani|
Hassleröd, Hedahuset, Holländarehuset, Hundsäng, Hästhagahuset
Kalfhusen, Kellstorp,Klemmedstorp, Kongshult, Kråkehuset, Kullahuset
Nilstorp, Nybygget, Nygårdshusen
Skarhults by, Skarhults Gård, Skeglinge Lilla, Skogvaktarehuset, Soldattorpen, Ströö By
Tegelbruket, Trollelyckehuset, Trulstorps Gård
Wemberga, Wålaröd Lilla
To see what kind of place it is you will need a Swedish Gazetteer.
- Surrounding Parishes
- Sweden Household Examination Records (Husförhörslängder)--explanation of this church record which is functionally the census of Sweden.
- Sweden Household Examination Books, 1880 - 1920, ($), index and images. Also on Ancestry.com, ($), Arkiv Digital ($), and SVAR at Riksarkivet.
Online Database Church Records
The easiest way to access the Swedish Church Records is through the internet, using these five sites (see links to specific collections below). Four of these sites require a subscription for access. (ArkivDigital, Ancestry.com, and MyHeritage.com are available at a FamilyHistory Center near you free of charge.)
- Sweden, Malmöhus Church Records, 1541-1918; index 1646-1860 at FamilySearch.
- MyHeritage.com ($),
- Ancestry.com ($),
- Arkiv Digital ($), and
- SVAR at Riksarkivet.
Help Using ArkivDigital: Online Databases for Sweden
- These lessons will teach you how to use ArkivDigital:
Family History Library Records
Click Sweden, Malmöhus Records for a full listing of microfilmed records (some digitized online) at the Family History Library, that may be digitized. Check back occasionally to see if your records have become available. In the meantime, some of them might be available at a Family History Center near you.
Click on "Places within Sweden, Malmöhus and then select your parish.
Help Reading Swedish Records
- You do not have to be fluent in Swedish to read these records! They have a limited vocabulary: mother, father, born, bride, groom, married, etc. The rest of the content will be names, dates, and places, which do not need translation.
- This Swedish Word List covers typical terms found in the records.
- Swedish Historical Dictionary Database, SHDD: This interactive dictionary allows you to enter a word in the search box and receive the translation.
- Feast Day Calendar (Moveable) and Feast Day Lists (Fixed and Moveable) will help you translate dates written in feast day form.
- Sweden surnames are patronymic and change every generation, so carefully study Sweden Names, Personal.
- For help with reading the column headings found in more recent records, see Swedish Parish Register and Household Exam Roll Headings.
- Instructions, document examples, and translations are given for Reading Swedish Birth and Christening Records 1717, 1752, 1771, 1792, 1803, 1834, 1854.
Help Reading Old Handwriting
- Reading Scandinavian Gothic Handwritten Records: (free, online lessons at FamilySearch):
Help With Research Objectives and Strategies
Östra Strö, Husförhörslängd 1841 - 1849 Ortregister
Jurisdictional information from: Riksarkivet, Östra Strö församling, at (NAD). May 2012.