You can see a list of all current Historical Records collections that are available online at FamilySearch. This list includes both collections that have been indexed and collections that have not been indexed.
- While signed in to FamilySearch, click Search, then click Records in the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down to Find a Collection. Below the search box, click Browse all published collections.
- (Optional) On the left panel, use options to filter the list.
- Enter a collection name, a place, a type of record, or other key words into the Filter by Collection Title search bar to narrow the results.
- Click the check box for Show only collections with images to see only records containing scanned documents.
- The camera with a box behind it means the image is from an external website. You could be asked to pay a fee or create an account before you can view the images.
- The camera without a box behind it means the image is from FamilySearch. The records custodians sometimes put limitations on accessing these images.
- Select items under the Place, Date, or Collection filters to browse through related collections.
- Explore the options for how search results are sorted to find what you're looking for.
- The list sorts alphabetically by default. Click the Title heading to sort in reverse alphabetical order.
- To sort by the size of the collection, click the Records heading. This sorting shows the largest collections at the top of the list. Click again to sort with the Browse Images items at the top of the list.
- To bring the oldest collections to the top of the list, click the Last Updated heading. Click again to bring the newest collections to the top.
- Click the title of the desired record collection.
- Click the Learn more link to learn about the collection.
- If the collection is indexed, enter information about an ancestor, and click Search to scan for a related entry.
- Click Browse through [number] images to view available images. The next screens will usually give you an opportunity to narrow your search by place, record type, or film number.
Steps (mobile app)
More search filters and other features are available on the FamilySearch website, but here's how to do a basic search on the mobile app.
- In the Family Tree mobile app, open the additional options:
- Android: In the top left corner, tap the 3 lines.
- Apple iOS: In the bottom right corner, tap the 3 dots.
- Tap Search Historical Records.
- Scroll down to Find a Collection, and tap the Browse all published collections link.
- Enter a collection name, a place, a type of record, or other key words into the Collection Name search bar to narrow the results.
- To narrow search results down by Place, Date, and Type, tap Filters.
- You can also tap the check box for Show only collections with images to see only records containing scanned documents.
- The list sorts alphabetically by default. Click the Title heading to sort in reverse alphabetical order
- Tap the title of the desired record collection.
- Enter information about an ancestor, and tap Search to scan the document for a related entry.
- Tap Browse through [number] images to view available images. The next screens will usually give you an opportunity to narrow your results by place, record type, or film number.
Steps (Family Tree Lite)
Currently, the Historical Records feature is not available on Family Tree Lite.
How do I find and search one specific collection in Historical Records? (72195)
How do I search all collections from a specific place in Historical Records? (53780)
When searching Historical Records, what are best practices and tips? (61290)
How do I search all of the record collections in Historical Records at once? (592210)
What are the upcoming historical record collections? (53751)
I received an error message when viewing an image (53727)