By default, in the pedigree landscape view, the name of a male spouse or parent appears above the name of the female spouse or parent. In portrait view, the male name appears to the left of the female name. Structuring the couple relationship this way affects how the rest of the family line displays. In landscape view, paternal lines move diagonally upward; maternal lines, by contrast, move diagonally downward.
In male-female relationships, you can only adjust this arrangement if the male does not appear above the female name. You can also change the arrangement for same-sex relationships, or in relationships where a female would traditionally display in the male's position. In the landscape view, for example, you can choose which spouse or parent to list on top and which to list on the bottom. In portrait view, you can choose which spouse or parent to situate on the left and which to situate on the right.
- Navigate to the Person page of one of the spouses.
- Scroll down to the Family Members box.
- Click the pencil icon on the right of the box containing the couple relationship or the parent-child relationship.
- Under Tools, click Switch Spouse Positions.
- Enter your reason for the change of positions, and then click Save.
- Navigate to the Person page of one of the spouses or children.
- Tap Spouses or Parents.
- Tap the down arrow for the spouse.
- Tap the pencil icon.
- Tap Switch.
Steps (Family Tree Lite)
This feature is not available in Family Tree Lite.