If you see mistakes in Family Tree, you have several options that allow you to correct them. If you see something that is offensive or abusive, however, here is how to report it to FamilySearch.
What Is Considered Abuse?
Abuse, in this case, is defined as any material saved on FamilySearch that would be considered offensive or inappropriate, such as the following:
- Offensive or abusive language or content
- Information that might harm or embarrass living relatives
- Links to external web pages with inappropriate content
- Solicitations for businesses or research services
- Political statement
- Copyright infringement
Errors in records, such as dates, names, relationships, and other items—though annoying—are not considered abuse. In most cases, these errors are relatively easy to correct. If you have questions regarding inadvertent or potentially malicious errors in records that you are unable to resolve, contact FamilySearch Support.
Our core policy is defined in FamilySearch Rights and Use Information, found at the bottom of most pages on FamilySearch.
- Go to a place on FamilySearch where you can report abuse:
- Tools: On the Person page of an individual, look under Tools for the Report Abuse link.
- Memory viewer: In the memory item viewer, look in the top right corner for the Report Abuse link.
- Messages: Click Messages in the top right corner of any FamilySearch page, and select a message. Click Options, and then click Report Abuse.
- Sources attached to individuals: Navigate to an individual's person page, and click the Sources tab. Select a source. The Report Abuse link should be located under the source title.
- Sources attached to relationships: Navigate to an individual's person page. Scroll to the Family Members section, and click the Edit icon. Select a source from the Relationship Sources section. The Report Abuse link should be located under the source title.
- Fill in the required information, and click Submit. All reports will remain confidential.
- A case is automatically created and goes to FamilySearch Support. You can see and track the case under Help by clicking My Cases.
Steps (mobile app)
Currently, the only way to report for offensive
- Open the FamilySearch app on your phone.
- Tap More on the bottom-right corner of your screen. Then tap Messages.
- Tap the message you want to report.
- Tap the three dots (...) in the top right corner of your screen, then tap Report Abuse.
- Explain your reason and tap Submit in the upper-right corner of your screen.
Steps (Family Tree Lite)
Currently, there is no feature on Family Tree Lite to report abuse directly. However, there is still a way to create a case and to get in contact with a representative within a few business days.
In Family Tree Lite, scroll to the bottom of any page, and click Feedback and Support. Send us a message about the potential abuse.