Virtual Genealogy Consultation FAQs
What are Virtual Genealogy Consultations?
- Free, 20-minute consultations via Zoom
- Designed to provide you with research guidance, methodology, and next steps
What languages are consultations offered in?
English, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese
How do I know which area to book a consultation for?
We offer consultations for geographical areas, DNA, and FamilySearch.
- If you are new to FamilySearch, select Getting Started with FamilySearch.
- If your question relates to DNA, select DNA.
- If you don't know the hometown of your immigrant ancestor, select Immigration and Locating the Ancestral Hometown.
- If you already know your ancestor's hometown, select the (modern) country where he or she lived.
How often can I book a consultation?
Please only book up to one consultation a week.
What is in the booking form?
The booking form asks for information that will help the research specialist be better prepared to provide you with the best suggestions possible.
What if I need translation help?
Consultations are not for translations; for translation help, please post your question in the FamilySearch Community (https://community.familysearch.org/).
Can I book a consultation to view records I can't see myself?
Due to contractual obligations, we cannot show any restricted records. Some contracts permit the sharing of a few records; please fill out the Records Look-up Service form (https://www.familysearch.org/family-history-library/family-history-library-records-look-up-service) to request copies of specific records.