Wales Births and Baptisms - FamilySearch Historical Records
|This is a Legacy Collection|
This collection is a partial index of records for this locality. The collection was originally assembled for publication in April 2010. Since that time only a few records may have been added. As no additional records will be added, or any corrections made to the data, this is considered to be a "Legacy" collection.
Where significant issues with the data have been identified, a Known Issues Wiki article has been created. See the table of contents of this article to see if one is available.
Many Legacy collections contain records from localities other than that which the collection is for. If available, please consult the coverage table to see what other localities may be included.
As this is an index of records compiled from various sources, it is strongly recommended that you verify any information you find with original records.
|Access the Records|
Wales Births and Baptisms, 1541-1907
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Wales|
|Location of Wales in the British Isles|
|Record Type||Births and Baptisms|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection is an index for the years 1541 to 1907. This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- The name of the child
- Date and place of christening
While not as often, the records may also include:
- Date of birth
- Date of death
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
The Coverage Table shows the places and time periods of the original records in this collection. The table indicates how many records the collection has from each place. Most of the records in the collection are from the time periods listed in the table; however, the collection may have a few records from before or after the time period.
|Locality||Births and Baptisms, 1586-1907,||Marriages, 1541-1900||Deaths and Burials, 1586-1885|
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person you are looking for
- The approximate date of birth or christening
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Look at an image of the original record, if possible. The original may contain information that was not recorded in the index
- Use the information to find other records such as marriage, death, or census records
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname, unless the surname is a common surname. This list can help you identify possible relatives that can be verified by records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Try viewing any original indexes to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc.
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames, middles name, or an abbreviation of their given name
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Wales.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.