United States City and Business Directories - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
United States City and Business Directories, ca. 1749 - ca. 1990
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United States of America|
|Location of the United States of America|
|Record Type||City and Business Directories|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains an index of city and business directories from numerous locations in the United States. It covers the period between ca. 1749 and ca. 1990. The instructions for indexing this collection were to index the names of all persons found on residential lists and names of employers and employees. Business names were not to be indexed unless they contained personal names. For example, "Barner Kehlenbeck Wines and Liquors" would be indexed as two separate surnames, Barner and Kehlenbeck. Business names such as The Ad Book and AAA Plumbing were not to be indexed, but records like those may be found in the index. Some of the cities included are:
- Brooklyn, New York
- Buffalo, New York
- Burlington, Iowa
- Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Charleston City, South Carolina
- Cincinnati, Ohio
- Cleveland, Ohio
- Des Moines, Iowa
- Dubuque, Iowa
- Los Angeles, California
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- New York City, New York
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Person's name
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The residence of your ancestor
- The birth date of your ancestor
- The names of other family members and family relationships
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Analyze the entry to see if it provides additional clues to find other records of the person or their family
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for alias names, nicknames and abbreviated names
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities
- Try alternative search methods such as only filling in the surname search box (or the given name search box) on the landing page leaving the other box empty and then click on search. This should return a list of everyone with that particular name. You could then browse the list for individuals that may be your ancestor
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you research your family in the United States.
- United States Guided Research
- United States Record Finder
- United States Research Tips and Strategies
Other FamilySearch Collections[edit | edit source]
These collections may have additional materials to help you with your research.
FamilySearch Catalog[edit | edit source]
- Los Angeles city directory Los Angeles, California : s. n., 1881-
- Burlington, Iowa, city directories S. l. : Chas. I. Barker, [18--
- Dana Burks' Santa Barbara city directory containing an alphabetical list of business firms and private citizens of Santa Barbara city, Carpinteria, Goleta, Montecito and Summerland ...Santa Barbara, California : Santa Barbara Directory Co., c1904-c1951
- Davenport, Iowa, city directories Davenport, Ia. : H.N. Stone, 19--
- Dubuque, Iowa, city directories Dubuque, Ia. : Hardie & Scharle, 19--
- John B. Jegli, John B. Jegli's Louisville, New-Albany, Jeffersonville, Shippingport and Portland directory : Containing a list of civil and military officers, religious, benevolent and philanthropic societies, local and miscellaneous statistics, with the names, residence and occupation of the business population, heads of families, &c., in the city of Louisville ...Louisville, Ky. : Printed at the office of the Louisville Journal, 1851
- R.L. Polk & Co. Santa Barbara (Santa Barbara County, Calif.) city directory : including Montecito, Goleta and Hope Ranch Park Los Angeles, California : R.L. Polk & Co., 1918-
- R.L. Polk & Co. St. Paul (Ramsey County, Minn.) city directory Saint Paul, Minnesota : R.L. Polk & Co., 1879/1880-
- Trow's New York City directory New York : Trow City Directory, 1856?-1899
- Williams & Co., compilers and publishers, Williams' Dayton city directory : a full alphabetical record of the names of the inhabitants of the city of Dayton, Ohio, a business directory, city guide, United States post office directory, etc. S. l. : Williams & Co., 1889?
- Williams' Springfield city directory : embracing a full alphabetical record of the names of the inhabitants of the city of Springfield, O., a business directory, city guide, etc. Cincinnati, Ohio : Williams Directory Co., 19--?
- Woodward City directory (Woodward County, Oklahoma)
FamilySearch Historical Records[edit | edit source]
- United States Census, 1900
- United States Census, 1910
- United States Census, 1920
- United States Census, 1930
- United States Census, 1940
FamilySearch Digital Library[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.