Tennessee Death Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Tennessee Deaths, 1914-1966
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Tennessee|
|Location of Tennessee|
|Tennessee State Library and Archives|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of death records, 1914-1963; also death records of the years 1964, 1965, and 1966; and death certificates, 1951-1963 from the Tennessee Division of Vital Records. The collection includes a general index (with some volumes individually indexed) and images. The state of Tennessee began recording deaths in 1914.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name and age of deceased and date of death
- Gender, race and marital status of deceased
- Date and place of birth
- Town, county and state where death occurred
- Name of hospital or institution where death occurred
- Cause of death
- Occupation and residence of deceased
- Length of stay in current locality
- Names of parents, including maiden name of mother
- Burial information
- Name of informant, usually a spouse or relative
- Funeral Home
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
Digital Folder Number List[edit | edit source]This collection was published as a DGS browse collection. The list does not contain any description of the DGS folder's content. A table listing each DGS number and its contents can be found at Tennessee Death Records Digital Folder Number List.
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate date of death
- The place where the death occurred
- The names of family members and their relationships
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]To view images in this collection:
- Look at the Tennessee Death Records Digital Folder Number List article to determine the folder/film number for the images you want to see
- Go to the Browse Page
- Select the Film number to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Tennessee Death Records, 1914-1955. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Search for birth and marriage records
- Look for the family in census records
- Search for a cemetery record
- Search the local newspapers for an obituary
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames
- Check for a different index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Tennessee.
- Tennessee Guided Research
- Tennessee Record Finder
- Tennessee Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
FamilySearch Catalog[edit | edit source]
- Death records, 1914-1966
- Deaths (enumerator record series), 1908-1912
- Tennessee State Library and Archives, Vital Records (Death Certificates, 1964-1966)
- Tennessee State Library and Archives, Deaths, 1926-1938
- Nashville death records, 1874-1913
FamilySearch Historical Records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Digital Library[edit | edit source]
- Tennessee Historical Records Survey, Division of Community Service Programs, Work Projects Administration, Guide to public vital statistics in Tennessee Nashville, Tennessee : Tennessee Historical Records Survey, 1941
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.