Sweden, Kalmar Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Sweden, Kalmar Church Records, 1577-1907; index 1625-1860
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Sweden|
|Location of Kalmar, Sweden|
|Map of Sweden, 1810-1952|
|Title in the Language:||Sverige, Kalmar Kyrkoböcker|
|Landsarkivet i Vadstena|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of church records from the county of Kalmar. It contains indexes to births, marriages, and deaths along with images of:
- Clerical surveys (Husförhörslängder)
- Registers of birth, marriage, and death (födda, vigda, döde)
- Move-in and move-out lists (in- och utflyttede)
- Confirmations (konfirmation)
- Church accounts (räkenskaper)
Additional records and/or images may be added to this collection in the future.
For additional details about these records and help using them see Sweden Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Sweden, Kalmar Church Records, 1577-1907; index 1625-1860.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The church was the primary registrar of all vital events in Sweden. These records will contain births and baptisms, marriages, confirmations, movement in and out of the parish, and deaths and burials. The names of the principals of each event will generally be recorded, along with their residence and any other persons who may be associated with the event.
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
The following parishes and number of records are included in the index as of 8 September 2016:
An inventory of all the images in this collection can be found at FamilySearch Digital Image Collection for Kalmar, Sweden
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person you are looking for
- The place where they lived
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]View images in this collection by visiting the Collection Browse Page:
- Select Parish
- Select Records
- Select Volume and Year to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Sweden, Kalmar Church Records, 1577-1907; index 1625-1860. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Sweden.
Other FamilySearch Collections[edit | edit source]
These collections may have additional materials to help you with your research.
FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
- Sweden Baptisms, 1611-1920
- Sweden Burials, 1649-1920
- Sweden Marriages, 1630-1920
- Sweden, Household Examination Books, 1880-1930
- Sweden, Blekinge Church Records, 1612-1916; index 1646-1860
- Sweden, Gotland Church Records, 1582-1940; index 1655-1860
- Sweden, Gävleborg Church Records, 1616-1908; index 1671-1860
- Sweden, Göteborg och Bohus Church Records, 1577-1932; index 1659-1860
- Sweden, Halland Church Records, 1615-1904; index 1615-1860
- Sweden, Jämtland Church Records, 1582-1928; index 1642-1860
- Sweden, Jönköping Church Records, 1581-1935; index 1633-1860
- Sweden, Kalmar Church Records, 1577-1907; index 1625-1860
- Sweden, Kopparberg Church Records, 1604-1900; index 1628-1860
- Sweden, Kristianstad Church Records, 1585-1910; index 1646-1860
- Sweden, Kronoberg Church Records, 1589-1921; index 1612-1860
- Sweden, Malmöhus Church Records, 1541-1918; index 1646-1860
- Sweden, Norrbotten Church Records, 1612-1923; index 1658-1860
- Sweden, Stockholm Church Records, 1556-1939, index 1634-1860
- Sweden, Stockholm City Archives, Index to Church Records, 1546-1927
- Sweden, Skaraborg Church Records, 1612-1921; index 1625-1860
- Sweden, Södermanland Church Records, 1604-1900; index 1640-1860
- Sweden, Uppsala Church Records, 1308-1901; index 1613-1860
- Sweden, Värmland Church Records, 1509-1925; index 1640-1860
- Sweden, Västerbotten Church Records, 1619-1896; index, 1688-1860
- Sweden, Västernorrland Church Records, 1501-1940; index 1650-1860
- Sweden, Västmanland Church Records, 1538-1901; index 1622-1860
- Sweden, Älvsborg Church Records, 1642-1897; index 1681-1860
- Sweden, Örebro Church Records, 1613-1918; index 1635-1860
- Sweden, Östergötland Church Records, 1555-1911; index 1616-1860
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.