South Carolina Periodicals
|South Carolina Wiki Topics|
|South Carolina Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Overview[edit | edit source]
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Several valuable periodicals concerning South Carolina genealogical research exist. Many genealogical and historical societies publish magazines and newsletters. The articles in these periodicals often include the following:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees
- Helpful articles on research methodology
- Transcripts or indexes of biographical sketches, censuses, church records, migration lists, military records, obituaries, wills, vital records, and more
- Historical background
- Current and historical maps
- Information about local and national records, archives, and services
- Interesting articles about social life and customs
- Book advertisements and book reviews
- Advertisements of professional researchers
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
The major genealogical periodicals and magazines helpful for South Carolina research are:
- Carolina Genealogist 1969-1984. Published by Mary Bondurant Warren, Danielsville, Georgia 30633. Family History Library book 975 B2cg.
- Carolina Herald and Newsletter 1974-. Published by the South Carolina Genealogical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 492, Columbia, South Carolina 29202. Family History Library book 975.7 B2c.
- Names in South Carolina 1954-. Published by the Department of English, University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina 29208. Family History Library book 975.7 B5d. Has information on persons and places whose history is intertwined with specific localities.
- South Carolina Genealogical Register 1963-1968. Published by Elizabeth Wood Thomas, ed., Pass Christian, Mississippi 39571. Family History Library book 975.7 B2g; also on FHL films 908182 item 2 and 496854 item 6.
- South Carolina Historical Magazine 1900-. Formerly: South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine. Published by the South Carolina Historical Society, Fireproof Building, 100 Meeting St., Charleston, South Carolina 29401-2291, Telephone: 803-723-3225, Fax 803-723-8584. Family History Library book 975.7 B2s; also on FHL film 1697883 item 13. This has cumulative indexes to 1992.
- South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research 1973-. Published by Brent Holcomb, P.O. Box 21766, Columbia, South Carolina 29221. Family History Library book 975.7 B2sc.
- Transactions of the Huguenot Society of South Carolina 1888-. Published by the Huguenot Society of South Carolina, 138 Logan Street, Charleston, South Carolina 29401. Family History Library book 975.7 C4h; vols. 1, 5, 18-20, and 22 on films beginning with film 1321493.
Obtaining Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve. The Periodical Source Index, or PERSI, is the largest subject index to genealogy and local history periodical articles in the world. PERSI is available online and is especially useful because it refers to countless items published in thousands of family history periodicals worldwide. Learn more at the PERSI wiki page here:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 40 fiche 6016863 (1847-1985); 15 fiche 6016864 (1986-1990).) Partially indexes over 5,000 English-language and French-Canadian family history periodicals. The microfiche indexes are cumulative; book indexes since 1986 are year-by-year. For further details see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
- Find My Past Researchers can use the Internet edition of this index at Family History Centers via their site.
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies. The Family History Library has collected many periodicals, with some available in digital format and accessible online. South Carolina periodicals may be found in the FamilySearch Catalog with a Place and Subject search, as found here: South Carolina-Periodicals. They can also be found by using:
- Place Search of the country, state/province, and county
- Title Search of the periodical
- Keyword Search for the publishing society name.
Also find Periodical resources available at other libraries via WorldCat. As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the Introduction to the FamilySearch Catalog on our Wiki pages.