Sogn og Fjordane County, Norway Genealogy
|Norway Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Sogn og Fjordane ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Sogn og Fjordane (help·info) is a county in Norway, bordering Møre og Romsdal, Oppland, Buskerud, and Hordaland. It is mainly a rural area with a scattered population. Sogn og Fjordane includes the largest glacier in mainland Norway, Jostedalsbreen, in the Breheimen mountain range, and the deepest lake, Hornindalsvatnet. There are also many famous waterfalls located in the area. Ramnefjellsfossen (previously called Utigardfossen) is the tallest in Norway and third tallest in the world and Vettisfossen is one of Norway's highest waterfalls (with a vertical drop of 275 meters). Both are located in the Jotunheim mountains. Cruise ships visit Sogn og Fjordane all summer because of the unique vistas of high mountains and deep blue fjords.
Family History Resources[edit | edit source]
Government Offices and Sites[edit | edit source]
Cities, Parishes and Clerical Districts in Sogn og Fjordane County[edit | edit source]
- Balestrand (Tjugum)
- Bru (Svanø)
- Bygstad (Svanø)
- Dale i Luster
- Dale i Fjaler
- Feios (Rinde)
- Fjaler (Ytre Holmedal)
- Fjærland (Mundal)
- Gulen (Evindvik)
- Husø (Husøy)
- Indre Holmedal (see Gaular)
- Kinn (Kinden)
- Kirkebø (see Kyrkjebø)
- Leikanger (Leganger)
- Luster (Lyster)
- Mjømna (Mjømen)
- Mundal (Fjæreland)
- Naustdal (Nøssedal)
- Stryn (Innvik)
- Tjugum (Balestrand)
- Vevring (Vefring)
- Vik (Hopperstad, Hove)
- Ytre Holmedal (see Fjaler)
Church Records/Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
- These are the most important records you will use, and a majority of your research will be found in them. All civil registration was kept by the church parishes until 2012.
- 1812-1938 Norway, Church Records, 1812-1938 at MyHeritage — index & images, ($)
- 1815-1930 Norway Church Books, 1815-1930 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection; index and images
- 1815-1938 Norway Church Records, 1815-1938 at MyHeritage — index & images, ($)
- Digitalarkivet: Digitized parish registers of Sogn og Fjordane
- Norway Indexed parish register transcriptions
- The Family History Library has microfilms for all Sogn og Fjordane parish registers up to about 1920. These can be viewed at the library or at a Family Histor Center near you.
- By clicking on the parish links above, you may find direct links to all the records for that parish.
- You do not have to be fluent in Norwegian. These records use a very limited, specialized vocabulary that is easy to learn. For help reading and interpreting theses records, see:
- Parish Register Headings for Norway: This pdf gives the translation of headings for the records in different time periods. When a record is written with labeled columns it is much easier to search. Much of the material you read in each column will just be names and dates, since the meaning of those names (child, parents, godparents, minister) only has to be read once, in the column heading.
- For more detail on the contents of these records and how to use them, see Norway Church Records and Norway Civil Registration.
Census[edit | edit source]
- 1801 Census
- 1865 Census; also at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection
- 1875 Census partial; also at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection
- 1885 Census (cities only)
- 1891 Census
- 1900 Census
- 1910 Census
- Sogn prosti, Manntall 23, 1664 - 1666
- Sunnfjord prosti, Manntall 24, 1664 - 1666
- Nordfjord prosti, Prestemanntall 25, 1664 - 1666
- Hardanger len, Indre Sogn fogderi, Ytre Sogn fogderi, Fogdemanntall 14, 1664 - 1665 (Parishes in Hardanger len belongs to Hordaland county)
- Sunnfjord fogderi, Nordfjord fogderi., Fogdemanntall 15, 1664
- Ytre og Indre Sogn fogderi, Manntall 8, 1701
- Sunnfjord og Nordfjord fogderi, Svanø birk, Manntall 9, 1701
Court Records[edit | edit source]
Farm Books[edit | edit source]
Land Records[edit | edit source]
1886 and 1838 land registers are found at The Norwegian Historical Data Centre. These are Excel files, which can be downloaded. The give the name of the farm, the farm owner, and the amount of tax. Both farms and sub-farms are included.
Military Records[edit | edit source]
Passenger Lists[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
- Digitised probate records for Sogn og Fjordane county
- 1640-1903 Norway, Probate Index Cards, 1640-1903 at FamilySearch- How to Use this Collection; index
- 1680-1720 - Clerical probate records for Bergen diocese, 1680-1720 which includes these districts and counties:
|*Hordaland county||*Bergen City||*Sogn og Fjordane county||*Møre og Romsdal county|
Records include probates of priests, parish clerks, schoolteachers and their widows.
Probate Jurisdictions[edit | edit source]
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Return to Norway Page