Riverton FamilySearch Library/Boy Scout Workshop
Our Scouting Genealogy Merit Badge Workshop will be offered starting August 14th.
Scouting Workshop: Genealogy Merit Badge[edit | edit source]
The library offers a monthly workshop to help Scouts earn the Genealogy Merit Badge. The workshop is held the second Saturday of each month from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m.
The Next workshop will be:[edit | edit source]
Saturday, October 15th, 2021: 10:00 to 11:30 a.m.[edit | edit source]
Presented by Pat O'Toole
Requirements to be completed "BEFORE" coming to the library:[edit | edit source]
- Please make sure your Scout has a FamilySearch or Membership account. Have them sign into FamilySearch.org before coming to the library to make sure it is working.
- For non-member youth or those who do not have an account, please register for one by going to https://www.familysearch.org/ and clicking on the "Free Account" button in the upper right of the screen. Enter the necessary information. Youth under 13 years of age must have parental authorization to create an account.
- Contact a family member by telephone, email, or letter, and interview them about their life. Ask about events that have occurred and where they happened. Record the information you learn and bring this information to the workshop.
- Complete a pedigree chart. Click here for a .pdf copy of a pedigree chart. The information can also be handwritten. List yourself and at least two additional generations. Bring this information to the workshop.
- Complete two family group sheets, one listing your parents and all of the children in your family and another listing one of your parents and their siblings in a family group with your grandparents.
Click here for a .pdf copy of a family group sheet. The information can also be handwritten. Bring this information to the workshop.
- Please also bring the name of an ancestor or relative who was alive in 1940.
- List eight to ten important events in your life (timeline) and bring the list to the workshop.
- Using your timeline, write a short autobiography of your life, and bring it to the workshop.
If Scouts complete the items above before coming to the library and bring their documents with them, they will be able to complete the following requirements at the library. Authorized Library Staff will certify the completion of their merit badge requirements.
- Define the terms "genealogy," "ancestor," and "descendant."
- Name three types of genealogical records. Explain how they help you chart your family tree. Obtain one genealogical document that supports your family tree and evalutate this information.
- Contact a genealogical repository.
- Explain the effects of computers and the Internet on genealogy. Explain how photography and microfilm have influenced genealogy.
- Discuss what you have learned about your family through your genealogical research.
Genealogy Merit Badge Resources - Click for additional resources.
[edit | edit source]
Registration is Required for Attendance[edit | edit source]
Attendance is being limited to 6 individuals per session. Each attendee must register to reserve a spot. If circumstances prevent you from attending, please cancel or reschedule using the link in the confirmation email you receive so the slot can be used someone else.
Maintained by: Elder Tom Stubben
Last modified: 07/22/21