|Poland Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- 1929 The 1929 Polish Business Directory Project at Jewish Records Indexing - Poland; [Ksiega Adresowa Polski (Wraz z w.m. Gdanskiem dla Handlu, Przemyslu Rzemiosl i Rolnictwa)]. Includes information about people in current and former areas of Poland, including regions now part of the Vilna area of Lithuania, the Grodno area of Belarus, and Volhynia and East Galicia, now parts of the western Ukraine.
- 1938 The 1938 telephone book of Warsaw
- 1939-1944 Poland, Łódź Ghetto Inhabitant Lists, 1939-1944 (USHMM) at Ancestry - index ($)
- 1939-1944 Łódź, Poland, Vital Records of Jews in the Łódź Ghetto, 1939-1944 (USHMM) at Ancestry - index ($)
- 1939-1945 Stanislav, Ukraine (Poland), List of Residents by Street, 1939-1945 (USHMM) at Ancestry - index ($)
- 1939-1945 Ukraine, Applications for ID for the Citizens of Stanislav, 1939-1945 (USHMM) at Ancestry - index ($)
Background[edit | edit source]
Directories are alphabetical lists of names and addresses. These often list all adult residents or tradesmen of a city or area. Telephone books are a type of directory.
The most helpful directories for genealogical research are city directories of local residents and businesses. These are usually published annually and may include an individual’s name, address, occupation, and spouse’s name. An individual’s address can be helpful when searching in a large city with several parishes. Directories sometimes have maps and may have addresses of churches, cemeteries, and civil registration offices.
A good source for finding which surnames are prominent in which areas of Poland is a database made from directories throughout Poland in 1990:
- Rymut, Kazimierz. Słownik nazwisk współcześnie w Polsce używanych (Dictionary of Names used in Contemporary Poland). 10 vols. Kraków: Polska Akademia Nauk-Instytut Języka Polskiego, 1992–1994. (FHL book 943.8D4rk.)
The Family History Library has some directories for Poland. These are listed in the Place section of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
POLAND, (COUNTY) - DIRECTORIES
POLAND, (COUNTY), (CITY) DIRECTORIES
Directories of tradesmen or businesses are listed in the Place section of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
POLAND, (COUNTY) - OCCUPATIONS
There are also special directories that can help you find church dioceses and parishes. See Poland Church Directories.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Telephone numbers and addresses for businesses in Poland can be found on the Internet at:
Many historical business, address, telephone, and membership directories from Poland can be searched at: