Pamunkey-New River Trail
History[edit | edit source]
The Pamunkey-New River Trail was first traveled by settlers between 1680 – 1717 and 1800 – 1820. There is evidence that English, French, German, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Norwegian, Scotch-Irish, Scottish, Swedish, and Welsh were among these early settlers.
Southern Virginia's New River Trail is one of America's premier rail-trails and has been designated as an official National Recreation Trail by the US Department of the Interior. This southern part of the Pamunkey-New River Trail is also a state park. The highlight and namesake of this magnificent trail is the 36-mile section running through Grayson, Carroll, Wythe and Pulaski counties along the New River, the oldest river in the States. In 1986 the Norfolk Southern Railroad donated this old railroad corridor, which originally served to supply the once expanding iron industry to the Commonwealth of Virginia
Records[edit | edit source]
- Hanover County, Virginia Genealogy
- Louisa County, Virginia Genealogy
- Albemarle County, Virginia Genealogy
- Augusta County, Virginia Genealogy
- Bath County, Virginia Genealogy
Maps[edit | edit source]
Website[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
Everton Publishing. The Handybook for Genealogists, Draper, UT: Everton Publishing, 2002.
Sharon DeBartolo Carmack and Erin Nevius. The Family Tree Resource Book for Genealogists, Cincinnati, OH: Family Tree Books, 2004.
Daniels, Roger. Coming to America. A History of Immigration and Ethnicity in American Life, New York, New York: HarperCollins, 2002.
Dollarhide, William. British Origins of American Colonists, 1629 - 1775, Bountiful, UT: Heritage Quest, 1997.
Dollarhide, William. Map Guide of American Migration Routes, 1735 - 1815, Bountiful, UT: Heritage Quest, 2000.
Wills, Chuck. Destination America. The People and Cultures That Created A Nation, New York, New York: DK Publishing, Inc., 2005.
Research Outlines by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Salt Lake City, UT.
William H. Goetzmann, University of Texas, 1966.