Ohio Tax Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Ohio Tax Records, 1800-1850
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Ohio|
|Location of Ohio|
|Record Type||Tax Records|
|Multiple custodians, Ohio|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The records include an index and images to taxation records as recorded with the County Auditor of each county. The records in this collection cover the years 1800 to 1850. However, the majority are from the years 1816 through 1838. Entries are recorded in voucher books, one person per page. Included are the following Ohio counties:
Governments created tax records that vary in content according to the purpose of the assessment. Most are based on personal property, real estate, and income. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. Numerous families lived in Ohio and owned taxable property.
Tax records are based on the property owned by people. Only the person who owned the taxable property was listed on the tax record; other residents, living on the property, were not listed.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Ohio Tax Records, 1800-1850.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Legal description of real and personal property
- Names and ages of property owners and possible relationships
- Time periods when families resided in Ohio
- Occupation of the property owner
- Places of residence
- Names of other relatives
- Additional information associated with the property
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Image[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The location where your ancestor lived
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]View images in this collection by visiting the Collection Browse Page:
- Select County
- Select Township
- Select Year to view the images
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- If available, check the image for additional information
- Analyze the entry to see if it provides additional clues to find other records of the person or their family
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Try searching by surname only
- The person may be recorded with an abbreviated or variant form of their name
- Remember that spelling was generally not standardized until the early part of the 20th century
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Ohio.
- Ohio Guided Research
- Ohio Record Finder
- Ohio Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Ohio Research, 1880-Present
FamilySearch Catalog[edit | edit source]
- Ester Weygant Powell, comp. Early Ohio tax records. Akron, Ohio : Ohio State Auditor, 1971 FHL 977.1 R4op
- Ohio. State Auditor. Tax records of various counties, 1810 FHL
- Gerald M. Petty, comp. Ohio 1810 tax duplicate arranged in a state-wide alphabetical list of names of taxpayers : with an index of names of original entries. Columbus, Ohio : Petty, c1976. FHL 977.1 R4p
FamilySearch Historical Records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Digital Library[edit | edit source]
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.