|Missouri Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Overview[edit | edit source]
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Several valuable periodicals concerning Missouri genealogical research exist. Many genealogical and historical societies publish magazines and newsletters. The articles in these periodicals often include the following:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees
- Helpful articles on research methodology
- Transcripts or indexes of biographical sketches, censuses, church records, migration lists, military records, obituaries, wills, vital records, and more
- Historical background
- Current and historical maps
- Information about local and national records, archives, and services
- Interesting articles about social life and customs
- Book advertisements and book reviews
- Advertisements of professional researchers
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
The major genealogical periodicals and magazines helpful for Missouri research are:
- Kansas City Genealogist 1960-. Published by the Heart of America Genealogical Society and Library, c/o Kansas City Public Library, 311 E. 12th St., Kansas City, Missouri 64106-2412. FHL Book 977.841 B2g; also FHL Fiche 6010733-60, volumes 1-28.
- Missouri Miscellany: Statewide Missouri Genealogical Records 1973-84. 17 volumes. Published by Mrs. Howard W. Woodruff, Independence, Missouri. FHL Book 977.8 D2w v. 1-17.
- Missouri Pioneers: County and Genealogical Records 1967-76. 30 volumes. Published by Nadine Hodges, Mrs. Howard W. Woodruff, Independence, Missouri. FHL Book 977.8 D2h; volumes 1-2 on FHL film 496617 items 8-9; volumes 3-6 on film 496618; volume 7 on film 823774 item 5.
- Ozar's Kin: The People who Settled the Missouri Ozarks 1979-. Published by the Ozarks Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3945, Springfield, Missouri 65808-3945 FHL Book 977.8 D25o.
- Pioneer Times 1977-1993. Published by the Mid-Missouri Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 715, Jefferson City, Missouri 65102. FHL Book 977.8 B2p; and FHL Fiche 6333987-95, volumes 1-9.
- The Prairie Gleaner 1969-. Published by the West Central Missouri Genealogical Society and Library, 705 Broad Street, Warrensburg, Missouri 64093-2032. FHL Book 977.84 B2p.
- St. Louis Genealogical Society Quarterly 1968-. Published by the St. Louis Genealogical Society, 1695 So. Brentwood Boulevard, St. Louis, Missouri 63144. FHL Book 977.865 B2q; volumes 1-2 on FHL film 1698206 item 16; volumes 1-27 and an index to volumes 11-20 on FHL films 1698209-10.
Obtaining Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve. The Periodical Source Index, or PERSI, is the largest subject index to genealogy and local history periodical articles in the world. PERSI is available online and is especially useful because it refers to countless items published in thousands of family history periodicals worldwide. Learn more at the PERSI wiki page here:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 40 fiche 6016863 (1847-1985); 15 fiche 6016864 (1986-1990).) Partially indexes over 5,000 English-language and French-Canadian family history periodicals. The microfiche indexes are cumulative; book indexes since 1986 are year-by-year. For further details see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
- Findmypast Researchers can use the Internet edition of this index at Family History Centers via their site.
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies. The Family History Library has collected many periodicals, with some available in digital format and accessible online. Missouri periodicals may be found in the FamilySearch Catalog with a Place and Subject search, as found here: Missouri-Periodicals. They can also be found by using:
- Place Search of the country, state/province, and county
- Title Search of the periodical
- Keyword Search for the publishing society name.
Also find Periodical resources available at other libraries via WorldCat. As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the Introduction to the FamilySearch Catalog on our Wiki pages.
Online[edit | edit source]
- The Missouri Historical Review: Information about the history of Missouri, and how it effected the people living there. Issues published 1906-2002 are available for free online from the State Historical Society of Missouri (link below): http://statehistoricalsocietyofmissouri.org/cdm/landingpage/collection/mhr
- The Missouri State Genealogical Association Journal: Genealogical information for all of Missouri. They have a surname index and a topic index online. They were produced by the Missouri State Genealogical Association. Most of their copies are online free or charge. Newer journals not available for free online). Website: http://mosga.org/index.php
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Missouri Digital Heritage Online: has links to different manuscript collections
- The State Historical Society of Missouri: copies of their Missouri Historical Review.
- Missouri State Genealogical Association: copies of MoSGA Journal