|Missouri Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- State Historical Society of Missouri Index to Selected Newspapers
- Missouri Online Historical Newspapers at Google
- Missouri Newspapers at chronicling America
- Missouri Newspapers at Ancestry ($)
- Missouri Newspapers at Ancestor Hunt
- Missouri Newspapers
- United States, GenealogyBank Obituaries, 1980-2014 at FamilySearch; index and images — How to Use this Collection
- 1800s-1999 U.S., Newspapers.com Marriage Index, 1800s-1999 at Ancestry - index ($)
Resources for Missouri Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Libraries and Archives[edit | edit source]
State Historical Society of Missouri has Missouri newspapers from about 1800, and card indexes by name and subject to some of the early papers. The Society also has a map by county of newspapers on microfilm. They are available for inter-library loan. The Society and the Family History Library also have several published abstracts and indexes of obituaries and marriages from 1808 to 1870.
The U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present is a national directory from the Library of Congress of over 140,000 newspaper titles. The directory provides a list of libraries from around the country that have the newspapers in their collections.
Digital Issues Online[edit | edit source]
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a collection of digitized Missouri newspapers online. This database is free at some libraries. It may be under the name Access NewspaperArchive.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has historical Missouri newspapers online including the Daily Missouri Republican, 1861-1865.
- Missouri Historical Newspapers Online - via the Online Historical Newspapers Directory.
- Chronicling America has some historical issues for the state of Missouri online.
Indexes[edit | edit source]
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch Obituary Index - created by the St. Louis Public Library. Index covers obituaries, death notices, and burial permits. Years indexed thus far include: 1880-1927, 1942-1945, 1992-2005
- St. Louis Argus Index -- an African-American newspaper;index created by the St. Louis Public Library. Years indexed include 1915-1927, 1942-1945.
- Westliche Post Obituary Index - (St. Louis German-language newspaper) Years indexed: 1878-1892.
- Index to Selected Missouri Newspapers - Index to some 1800s Missouri newspapers at the State Historical Society of Missouri.
Print Resources[edit | edit source]
- William H. Taft, Missouri Newspapers, When and Where, 1808-1963 (Columbia: University of Missouri, 1964) At various libraries (WorldCat), FHL book 977.8 B3t
Websites[edit | edit source]
- The State Historical Society of Missouri Newspaper Collection
- Newspaper Abstracts - Missouri
- Ancestor Hunt - Missouri Newspapers
- Newspapers.com ($)
- Ancestry ($)
- Southeast Missourian; obituaries and newspapers.
- St. Louis Obituary index
- Chronicaling America: Library of Congress; Newspaper images (digital search engine) 1777-1963.
- MackleyGenealogy.com: has over 17,000 obituaries for Missouri (particularly the South-East portion) and it's free online. Some obituaries go as far back as 1830. Most of their obituaries are scanned copies of the actual obituary clippings.