|Missouri Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Places
- Gazetteer of the State of Missouri Alphonso Wetmore. Gazetteer of the State of Missouri. New York, New York : Arno Press, 1975. Digital Publication FamilySearch International
- Missouri as it is in 1867 Nathan H Parker. Missouri as it is in 1867 : an illustrated historical gazetteer of Missouri, embracing the geography, history, resources and prospects ... Digital Publication FamilySearch International
- Our Storehouse of Missouri Place Names Robert Lee Ramsay. Our Storehouse of Missouri Place Names. [Columbia, Missouri] : University of Missouri, 1952
- A Gazetteer of the States of Illinois and Missouri Lewis C Beck. A Gazetteer of the State of Illinois and Missouri. Albany : Printed by Charles R. and George Webster, at their Bookstore, corner of State and Pearl-streets 1823
- The western tourist and emigrant's guide Joseph Hutchins Colton and John CalvinSmith. The Western Tourist and Emigrant's Guide : With a compendious gazetteer of the states of OH, MI, IN, IL, and Missouri, and the territories of WI and IA. New York : J.H. Colton 1840
- Adam's directory of points and landings on rivers and bayous in the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Iowa, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin Louis A Adams. Adam's directory of points and landings on rivers and bayous in the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Iowa, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin. New Orleans : W. L. Murray 1877
- Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri R A Campbell. Campbells Gazetteer of Missouri. St. Louis, R. A. Campbell 1875
- The Missouri gazetteer of the state of Missouri Missouri Gazetteer Co. The Missouri Gazetteer of the State of Missouri. St. Louis, Mo. : The Company, c1914
Print Only Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- Geographic Names Information System (GNIS), Missouri, alphabetical listing US Office of Geographic Research, Branch of Geographic Names. Geographic Names Information System (GNIS), Missouri, alphabetical listing. Reston, Virginia : U.S. Geological Survey, [198-?]
- Excerpts from the Missouri Handbook : history of the state of Missouri Nathan H. Parker. Excerpts from the Missouri Handbook : history of the state of Missouri. Newington, Connecticut : [publisher not identified], 
- Missouri Atlas and Gazetteer DeLorme Mapping Co. Missouri Atlas and Gazetteer. Yarmouth, Maine : DeLorme Mapping Co., c1998
- Intersting Missouri Place Names Gerald Leonard Cohen. Interesting Missouri Place Names. Rolla, Missouri : G. Cohen, c1982
- Paris, Tightwad, and Peculiar : Missouri place names Margot Ford Mc Millen. Paris, Tightwad, and Peculiar : Missouri Place Names. Columbia, Missouri : University of Missouri Press, c1994
Why Use Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
A gazetteer is a dictionary of place-names. Gazetteers list or describe towns and villages, parishes, states, populations, rivers and mountains, and other geographical features. They usually include only the names of places that existed at the time the gazetteer was published. Within a specific geographical area, the place-names are listed in alphabetical order, similar to a dictionary. You can use a gazetteer to locate the places where your family lived and to determine the civil and religious jurisdictions over those places.
There are many places within a state with similar or identical place-names. You will need to use a gazetteer to identify the specific town where your ancestor lived, the state the town was or is in, and the jurisdictions where records about the person was kept.
Gazetteer Contents[edit | edit source]
Gazetteers may also provide additional information about towns, such as:
- Different religious denominations
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Major manufacturers, canals, docks, and railroad stations
- The population size.
- Boundaries of civil jurisdiction.
- Ecclesiastical jurisdiction(s)
- Longitude and latitude.
- Distances and direction from other from cities.
- Schools, colleges, and universities.
- Denominations and number of churches.
- Historical and biographical information on some individuals (usually high-ranking or famous individuals)