Missouri, Cole County Circuit Court Case Files - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Missouri, Cole County Circuit Court Case Files, 1820-1927
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Cole, Missouri, |
|Flag of Missouri|
|Location of Cole County, Missouri|
|Location of Missouri|
|Record Type||Court Case Files|
What is In This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains digital images of case files primarily regarding disputed estates and divorces. It covers the years 1820 to 1927.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Missouri, Cole County Circuit Court Case Files, 1820-1927.|
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Names of interested parties
- Date of court proceeding or transaction
- Details of the case
- Amount of monies exchanged or paid
- Names of relatives, neighbors, or witnesses
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The name of a relative or date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]
|This collection does not have a searchable index. Only images are available. See View the Images to access them.|
View the Images[edit | edit source]View images in this collection by visiting the Collection Browse Page:
- Select Case File Number and Year Range to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog Missouri, Cole County, Circuit Court Case Files, 1823-1866. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking for, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Search for vital records such as birth, marriage, and death
- Search for the family in census records
- Search for church and land records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you research your family in the state of Missouri.
Other FamilySearch Collections[edit | edit source]
These collections may have additional materials to help you with your research.
FamilySearch Catalog[edit | edit source]
- Cole County, Circuit Court case files, 1823-1866
- Cole County, Circuit Court case files, 1867-1899
- Cole County, Circuit Court case files, 1900-1922
- Cole County, Circuit Court case files, 1923-1927
FamilySearch Historical Records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Digital Library[edit | edit source]
- History of Cole, Moniteau, Morgan, Benton, Miller, Maries and Osage counties, Missouri : from the earliest time to the present, including a department devoted to the preservation of sundry personal, business, professional and private records, besides a valuable fund of notes, original observations, etc. Chicago, Illinois : Goodspeed Pub. Co., 1889
- Joseph Jackson Gravely. The organization of the courts of Missouri. (1915)
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.