Mission Viejo California Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Mission Viejo Family History Center serves a major portion of South Orange County, California. All are welcome and our services are free.
Visiting the Mission Viejo Family History Center (MVFHC)
The Family History Center is currently open (walk-in, no appointment necessary) during the following hours:
- Tuesday: 10:00am-4:00pm
- Wednesday: 10:00am-4:00pm
- Thursday: 10:00am-4:00 pm
It is also available during evening hours on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (7:00pm-9:00pm), for individuals or groups, by appointment only.
Since we have to arrange for staff to meet your evening appointment, please give us at least a 24 hour notice so that we can accommodate you.
To reserve a time slot for your evening visit, please click HERE.
This link may require you to bypass several advertising sites before you get to the actual scheduling calendar.
Skill Building Workshop
The forth Monday morning of every month (10:00 am-11:00 am) is our "Family History Workshop", a meeting of local researchers (of every skill level). We will meet over zoom, share ideas and have training on basic research skills.
To view the workshop times and topics and to sign up, click HERE.
After you sign up, details you will need to log on will be sent to you by e-mail.
Remote One on One Support with a Stake Family History Consultant
Do you need help doing family history work, but because of the pandemic, you don't want to come in right now?
Sign up for the free one on one support from one of our stake family history consultants, via Zoom.
To view available times and to sign up, click HERE.
- 27976 Marguerite Parkway Mission Viejo, California 92692 United States
- Corner of Marguerite Parkway and Hillcrest.
- Enter at the rear of the building - left hand door.
- Thursday:10:00am-4:00 pm
- Also, evening hours by appointment only
General Conference, April 2-3, October 1-2; Thanksgiving Week, November 21-27; Christmas/New Years, December 23-January 2
Center Resources[edit | edit source]
Collections[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has a very limited number of various films available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
Databases and Software[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center PortalThis center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.This includes the following:
- Find My Past - Institutional Version
- Fold 3.com
- Kinpoint - Premium
- My Heritage - Library Edition
- ThePaperTrail.org (A guide to Overland Pioneer Names and Documents)
- Alexander Street Press: The American Civil War
- Research database
- Letters and Diaries
- Images, Photographs, Posters and Ephermera
- social and Cultural History
- Women and Social Movements in the Unites States
- ProQuest Obituary Listings
- Puzilla.org - Premium Services
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- ArkivDigital (Swedish records=36 Million documents)
Hardware and Equipment[edit | edit source]
- 10 Computers with Internet access
- 4 Microfilm Readers
- 2 Microfiche Readers
- Flatbed Scanner
Center Services[edit | edit source]
- Provide one on one research help and provide access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program.
- Receive personalized instruction via Zoom by one of our most experienced volunteers. Contact us via the phone numbers above for details.
- Provide Training. (Offering free how to classes)
- Assist in cleaning up data files.
- Provide Service Opportunities for volunteers.
- Visit the center by appointment, during our open hours. We will be glad to acquaint you with our resources and equipment.