Minnesota, County Deaths - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Minnesota, County Deaths, 1850-2001
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Minnesota|
|Location of Minnesota|
|Record Type||Death Records|
|Multiple county courthouses, Minnesota|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection includes county death records from 1850-2001. The record content and the time period varies by county. Death records from Minnesota county courthouses. Some other records such as birth records are mixed in with this collection.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Minnesota, County Deaths, 1850-2001.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
Coverage Table Map[edit | edit source]
The following counties are included in this collection
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate date of death
- The place where the death occurred
- The names of family members and their relationships
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]View images in this collection by visiting the Collection Browse Page:
- Select County
- Select Record Type, Date Range and Volume to view the images
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor’s death record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors. Add this new information to your records of each family.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the information found on the death record to locate an obituary
- Use the information found on the death record to locate a cemetery record
- Use the information found to locate the family in census, church, and land records
- Use the information found to locate mortuary records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names
- Check for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning or end of each volume. In addition, local historical and genealogical societies may have indexes to local records
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you research your family in the state of Minnesota.
- Minnesota Guided Research
- Minnesota Record Finder
- Minnesota Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Minnesota Research, 1880-Present
Other FamilySearch Collections[edit | edit source]
These collections may have additional materials to help you with your research.
FamilySearch Catalog[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Historical Records[edit | edit source]
- Minnesota, Death Records and Certificates, 1900-1955
- Minnesota Deaths, 1887-2001
- Minnesota Deaths and Burials, 1835-1990
- Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002
FamilySearch Digital Library[edit | edit source]
- Minnesota Historical Records Survey Project, Division of Community Service Programs, Work Projects Administration. Guide to public vital statistics records in Minnesota. Saint Paul, Minnesota : Historical Records Survey (Minnesota), 1941
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.