Maryland Marriages - FamilySearch Historical Records
|This is a Legacy Collection|
This collection is a partial index of records for this locality. The collection was originally assembled for publication in April 2010. Since that time only a few records may have been added. As no additional records will be added, or any corrections made to the data, this is considered to be a "Legacy" collection.
Where significant issues with the data have been identified, a Known Issues Wiki article has been created. See the table of contents of this article to see if one is available.
Many Legacy collections contain records from localities other than that which the collection is for. If available, please consult the coverage table to see what other localities may be included.
As this is an index of records compiled from various sources, it is strongly recommended that you verify any information you find with original records.
|Access the Records|
Maryland Marriages, 1666-1970
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Maryland|
|Location of Maryland|
|Record Type||Marriage Index|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection is an index of marriages for the years 1666 to 1970 taken from church records and civil registration. Church records and civil registration were official sources and are some of the most reliable sources of family history information.This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of bride and groom
- Marriage date and place
- Family History Library Microfilm and item numbers for the source materials
- Parents' names
- Date and place of birth
- Marital status
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
The coverage table shows the places and time periods of the original records in this collection. The table indicates how many records the collection has from each place. Most of the records in the collection are from the time periods listed in the table; however, the collection may have a few records from before or after the time period.
|Locality||Births and Christenings, 1650-1995||Marriages, 1666-1970||Deaths and Burials, 1877-1992|
|Baltimore (Independent City)||9,203||3,102||0|
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the individual
- The date of the event or the name of a spouse or parent
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Maryland Marriage Records. Some catalog records contain links to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the information to find vital records such as birth, baptism, and death records
- Search for immigration, military, land and probate records
- Use the information to find additional family members in census records
- Search for church records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Try viewing the original record. Indexes and transcriptions may not include all the data found in the original records. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relatives that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Try variant spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Maryland.
Other FamilySearch Collections[edit | edit source]
These collections may have additional materials to help you with your research.
FamilySearch Catalog[edit | edit source]
- Rebecca Whitman Koford and Debra A Hoffman, Research in Maryland Falls Church, Virginia : National Genealogical Society, 2021 FHL 975.2 D27ngs
- Maryland Historical Society, Index to the record of Maryland marriages, 1777-1804
- Robert Barnes, comp. Maryland marriages, 1634-1777. Baltimore, Maryland : Genealogical Publishing Company, c1975, 1978, 1987, 2005 FHL 975.2 K2bar
- Robert Barnes, comp. Maryland marriages, 1778-1800. Baltimore, Maryland : Genealogical Publishing Company, 1978, c1978 FHL 975.2 K2ba
- Robert Barnes, comp. Maryland marriages, 1801-1820. Baltimore, Maryland : Genealogical Publishing Company, c1993 FHL 975.2 K2baa
FamilySearch Historical Records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Digital Library[edit | edit source]
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.