|Maine Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Overview[edit | edit source]
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Several valuable periodicals concerning Maine genealogical research exist. Many genealogical and historical societies publish magazines and newsletters. The articles in these periodicals often include the following:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees
- Helpful articles on research methodology
- Transcripts or indexes of biographical sketches, censuses, church records, migration lists, military records, obituaries, wills, vital records, and more
- Historical background
- Current and historical maps
- Information about local and national records, archives, and services
- Interesting articles about social life and customs
- Book advertisements and book reviews
- Advertisements of professional researchers
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
In addition to periodicals for the New England area, the major periodicals and magazines helpful for Maine research are:
- Downeast Ancestry 1977-. Published by News-Journal, 60 Court Street, Machias, Maine 04654. FHL Book 974.1 D25d. This is a quarterly magazine about Maine families, genealogies, and histories. It includes vital records and town events.
- The Maine Seine 1980-. Farmington, Maine: Maine Genealogical Society, 1980-1990. See Maine Archives and Libraries for the address. FHL Book 974.1 D25ms. This is the quarterly magazine of the Maine Genealogical Society. It includes various family histories and Bible and vital records. This is continued by The Maine Genealogist with the same call number.
- The Bangor Historical Magazine 1885-1894. Reprint. Ten Volumes in Four. Camden, Maine: Picton Press, 1993. FHL Book 974.1 H25b 1993; FHL Films 1033914 item 2-3, 547193 item 2-4. This magazine is continued by The Maine Historical Magazine with the same call number. It contains vital records, town records, genealogies, and information on various towns, people, and events.
- The New England Historical and Genealogical Register 1847-. Published by the New England Historic Genealogical Society. See Maine Archives and Libraries for address. Digital version at American Ancestors ($); FHL Book 974 B2ne; CD 33 part 1-9; some volumes on film. This periodical has a cumulative index to 1995. It includes genealogies, vital record extracts, church records, local genealogical histories, and New England source material.
Obtaining Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve. The Periodical Source Index, or PERSI, is the largest subject index to genealogy and local history periodical articles in the world. PERSI is available online and is especially useful because it refers to countless items published in thousands of family history periodicals worldwide. Learn more at the PERSI wiki page here:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 40 fiche 6016863 (1847-1985); 15 fiche 6016864 (1986-1990).) Partially indexes over 5,000 English-language and French-Canadian family history periodicals. The microfiche indexes are cumulative; book indexes since 1986 are year-by-year. For further details see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
- Findmypast Researchers can use the Internet edition of this index at Family History Centers via their site.
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies. The Family History Library has collected many periodicals, with some available in digital format and accessible online. Maine periodicals may be found in the FamilySearch Catalog with a Place and Subject search, as found here: Maine-Periodicals. They can also be found by using:
- Place Search of the country, state/province, and county
- Title Search of the periodical
- Keyword Search for the publishing society name.
Also find Periodical resources available at other libraries via WorldCat. As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the Introduction to the FamilySearch Catalog on our Wiki pages.