Maine Naturalization and Citizenship
|Maine Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- 1718-1957 Maine, State Archive Collections, 1718-1957 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index & images
- 1787-1906 United States, New England, Petitions for Naturalization, 1787-1906, Northeast Region (including Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont) at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; images
- 1791-1906 United States, New England Petitions for Naturalization Index, 1791-1906 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index; Also at: MyHeritage($),
- 1791-1992 U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes for Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont, 1791-1992 at Ancestry($); Index
- 1800-1990 Maine, County Naturalization Records, 1800-1990 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; images
- 1833-1868 Maine, Bath, Seamen's Proofs of Citizenship, 1833-1868 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index & images
- 1906-1929 Maine, Naturalization Records - Originals, 1906-1929 at Ancestry($); index and images
- 1918-1991 Maine, United States Naturalization Records, 1918-1991 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index & images
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- Maine, State Archive Collections - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Maine, Washington County Courthouse Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
- United States, New England Petitions for Naturalization Index - FamilySearch Historical Records
Applications for citizenship before 1906 could be filed in any county, state, or federal court in Maine. Some immigrants went to the office of the selectmen in their towns. The Maine State Archives is gathering all pre-1930 Maine court records, including declarations, petitions, and oaths. The Family History Library has naturalization records for many of the Maine counties.
Index[edit | edit source]
In the late 1930s, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) copied and indexed New England naturalization records for 1791 to 1906. The copies and index are at the National Archives—New England Region. The National Archives in Washington, D.C., and the Family History Library have microfilm copies of the index:
- United States, Immigration and Naturalization Service. Index to New England Naturalization Petitions, 1791-1906. Washington, D.C.: The National Archives, 1983. FHL films 1429671-787.
Some of the records are more recent than 1906. The index gives the name and location of the court, the date of naturalization, and the volume and page number (or certificate number) of the naturalization record.
Also on line at FamilySearch Historical Records at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index & images
- United States District Court (Maine), Index to declarations of intention and index to naturalization petitions [Maine], 1906-1955 (SLC, Utah, 2004) FHL film 2371828 item 2 (first of 7 films)
Records[edit | edit source]
- United States Circuit Court and District Court, Naturalization Records (Maine), 1790-1945 : NARA, RG21 (SLC, Utah, 2008) FHL film 2429180 item 2 (first film)
References[edit | edit source]
Maine Research Outline. Salt Lake City, Utah: Intellectual Reserve, Inc., Family History Department, 1998, 2001.