Lincoln County, Idaho Genealogy
Guide to Lincoln County, Idaho ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Lincoln County, Idaho|
Location in the state of Idaho, United States Genealogy
Location of Idaho in the U.S.
|Founded||March 18, 1895|
|Address||Lincoln County Courthouse|
111 West B Street
Shoshone, ID 83352-0800
Phone: (208) 886-7641
Fax: (208) 886-2707
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The county was named for President Abraham Lincoln. The County Seat is Shoshone and was founded March 18, 1895. It is located in the south central area of the state.
Lincoln County, Idaho Record Dates[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Lincoln County Courthouse
111 West B Street
Shoshone, ID 83352-0800
Phone: (208) 886-7641
Fax: (208) 886-2707
County Clerk has some birth and death records from 1895-1913, marriage, divorce, probate, court and land records from 1895 and some school records.
Quick Facts[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
28 January 1913 -- Gooding County created from part of Lincoln County
28 January 1913 -- Minidoka County created from part of Lincoln County
8 February 1919 -- Jerome County created from parts of Gooding and Lincoln Counties
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places/Localities[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit Home Town Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
The above list of places includes incorporated cities and towns, unincorporated towns and communities, and place names that may have been used in family histories. Some have well-organized records and even have web sites. Some are simply social communities with no official records, but which may be referenced in small-town newspapers. The list is provided to help researchers identify localities within the county. As records or histories of these localities are identified, a page will be added for each of these place names.
Resources[edit | edit source]
The types of records that follow are used for genealogy and family history. Most tell what you may learn and how to locate the records. Links to Internet sites usually go directly to Lincoln County, Idaho Genealogy entries with names, images, or information.
|Don't overlook Lincoln County, Idaho Genealogy items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Archives and Libraries.|
Many of the older court, land, naturalization, probate, pension, and vital records for Lincoln County have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and through their family history centers. They are also available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise. Details of the county records in these respective institutions can be obtained from their online catalogs or listings. Original records which have been microfilmed and more recent records are in the county courthouse in Shoshone.
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
There are many cemeteries in Lincoln County. For a list of those that have been identified, and links to transcriptions and/or photographs of tombstones, go to Lincoln County, Idaho Cemetery Records.
For the cemeteries in or immediately adjacent to the cities, please see the city pages for the cities listed above.
Census[edit | edit source]
The 1890 federal census for Idaho was destroyed. However, the Idaho State Historical Society Public Archives and Research Library is creating a list of 1890 Idaho residents by indexing a variety of records, 1885-1894. This reconstructed list will substitute for the destroyed 1890 federal census.
For a summary of census records for the state of Idaho, see Idaho Census Records.
Church[edit | edit source]
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons)[edit | edit source]
- List of Lincoln County stakes and wards to about 1948.
- The following are local congregations (wards) which existed in Lincoln County, Idaho prior to 1950.
- For original or later records, check with the Church History Library in Salt Lake City.
- Many of the records to about 1948 are available at the Family History Libraryin Salt Lake City and at its FamilySearch Centers.
- 1895--Lincoln County was created 18 March 1895 from Alturas and Blaine Counties. County seat: Shoshone.
List of Churches and Church Parishes
County Commissioners' Records[edit | edit source]
The minute books of the County Commissioners contain interesting tidbits of history about the county as well as the names of individuals appealing to the County Commissioners for action on issues of concern to them. Minutes of those meetings were recorded from the formation of the county, for most counties. Some counties now post the minutes of current meetings online.
Most of these records have been preserved in the county courthouses of the State of Idaho. Few have been microfilmed. Contact the county clerk for information about years covered and availability.
Online County Records
Court Records[edit | edit source]
Some of the early court records of Lincoln County, Idaho have been microfilmed and are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise, Idaho. The records filmed include civil suits, divorce papers, judgment dockets, etc. Copies of these microfilmed court records are also available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah or at any of the Library's Family History Centers. Additional court records and more recent records are housed at the Lincoln County courthouse in Shoshone, and can be accessed by making a visit there.
Some of the records of the courts of Lincoln County that have been microfilmed include:
- Court records, 1895-1935; index, 1895-1935
- Power of attorney, 1865-1921; index, 1865-1896
- Power of attorney, 1882-1913
Judgment Books[edit | edit source]
- Judgments, 1896-1926; transcripts, 1883-1909; index, 1896-1926
Directories[edit | edit source]
The Idaho State Archives has a collection of city, county, state and regional directories.
History[edit | edit source]
A brief history of Lincoln County is given on this Lincoln County GenWeb site.
Land and Property[edit | edit source]
Land and Property records are generally recorded in the county courthouse of the county in which the transaction took place. For original records of Lincoln County, Idaho, one may visit the courthouse in Shoshone, Idaho.
The Idaho State Archives has microfilmed many county records of Lincoln County and these can be accessed by visiting the Archives in Boise, Idaho. Earlier records may be found in Blaine County from which Lincoln County was formed.
The Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah has microfilmed originals of the following records found in the Lincoln County Courthouse in Shoshone, Idaho which can be accessed at the Library in Salt Lake City or in any of its Family History Centers:
Be sure to check Blaine County for possible earlier records.
Maps[edit | edit source]
- An 1895 map of Lincoln and surrounding counties is available online.
- A digital Lincoln County Idaho map is available online.
- Map of Lincoln County, Idaho is available online.
- FamilySearch Places: Map of cities and towns in this county - How to Use FS Places
Military[edit | edit source]
World War I draft registration cards, 1917-1918, for Lincoln County have been microfilmed. Copies of these records are available at the Family History Library (their microfilm number 1452218) and are also available online at Ancestry.com, for a subscription fee. The original cards are maintained in the Southeast Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in East Point, Georgia and have been microfilmed by the National Archives as their Microcopy M1509.
Online Records[edit | edit source]
- 1917-1960 Idaho, Military Discharge Records, ca.1917 - ca.1960 at FamilySearch - index and images
- 1940-1945 - Idaho, World War II Draft Registration Cards,1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
Miscellaneous Series[edit | edit source]
Often overlooked by the genealogist, this group of volumes may contain affidavits for citizenship, final disposition of estates, divorce decrees, and many other types of valuable documents. The content varies from county to county, year to year and from clerk to clerk. When the estate case files, civil or criminal files are not available or have been destroyed, you may find key documents recorded here. Most counties will have an index to this series and it is a must search if the information you are seeking is not found elsewhere.
Both the Idaho State Archives in Boise, Idaho, and the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah have copies of the miscellaneous record of Lincoln County. The originals are held in the Lincoln County courthouse in Shoshone, Idaho and can be accessed by visiting there. Copies in the Idaho State Archives are available for viewing in Boise. Those held by the Family History Library can be viewed either at the Library in Salt Lake City or at any of its Family History Centers.
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
- 1800s-1999 U.S., Newspapers.com Marriage Index, 1800s-1999 at Ancestry - index ($)
Copies of issues of Idaho newspapers are in the collections of the Idaho State Archives.
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
Probate[edit | edit source]
Online Probate Indexes and Records
- 1857-1989 - Idaho Wills and Probate Records 1857-1989 at Ancestry.com $
Most probate records are recorded at the county courthouse of the county in which the transaction took place. For Lincoln County, Idaho, the courthouse is in Shoshone and records can be accessed by visiting there.
The Family History Library in Salt Lake City has microfilmed some Probate Records of Lincoln County. These copies can be viewed in the Library in Salt Lake, or at any of the Library's affiliate family history centers.
The Idaho State Archives has also microfilmed many of the Lincoln County probate records and these can be accessed by visiting their headquarters in Boise, Idaho.
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Any existing tax assessment rolls for Lincoln County should be in the courthouse in Shoshone and would need to be accessed by visiting there.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Birth[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1911 - Idaho, Birth Index, 1861-1911 at FamilySearch — index
- 1883-1929 - Idaho County Birth and Death Records 1883-1929 at FamilySearch.
The Birth Registers for Lincoln County, 1907-1911, have been microfilmed and are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise and at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Transcription of birth records, 1907-1911, available on the USGenWeb site for Lincoln County.
Birth records, 1911 to present, for individuals born in Lincoln County are included in and recorded at the state level. These records are restricted for a period of one hundred years from the time of the individual's birth but can be obtained by following the guidelines as issued by the State of Idaho. See the Vital Records section under the subject Idaho for more details.
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1700s-1900s - Western States Marriage Index - Index, incomplete. List of counties included.
- 1800-1987 - Idaho, United States Marriages at Findmypast — index $
- 1864-1976 - Idaho Church Marriages, 1864-1976 at FamilySearch — index
- 1864-1950 - Idaho County Marriages, 1864-1950 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1878-1898; 1903-1942 - Idaho Marriages, 1878-1898; 1903-1942 at FamilySearch — index
- 1947-1963 - Idaho Marriage Index, 1947-1961 at FamilySearch — index
An alphabetical listing of marriage records, 1907-1912 is available on the USGenWeb site for Lincoln County
There are records of 1623 marriages from Lincoln County in the online Idaho Marriages.
Divorce[edit | edit source]
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1883-1929 - Idaho County Birth and Death Records 1883-1929 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1907-1911 - Index to Lincoln County Death Records, 1907-1911 are available in the site for Lincoln County
- 1938-1961 - Idaho Death Certificates, 1938-1961 at FamilySearch — index
There are 136 death records for Lincoln County in the Idaho Death and Burials.
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Many public libraries provide internet access to sites of value to the family historian. Some have special collections of historical and cultural interest, as well. The following libraries may have some resources of value, but use of some or all of them may require a visit to the library.
- Richfield District Library
105 South Main
Richfield, ID 83349
Phone: (208) 487-1242
- Shoshone Public Library
211 South Rail St W
Shoshone, ID 83352
Phone: (208) 886-2843
- Lincoln County Historical Museum
112 W B St
Shoshone, ID 83352
Phone: (208) 886-7787
- State Historical Society
2205 Old Penitentiary Rd
- Idaho Historical Society Facebook Page Website
- Idaho State Archives Digital Collections - Enter County in Search Bar
- The Idaho Welsh Society -- excellent cultural and historical site
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Center and Affiliate Library Locator map - search for local Family History Centers or Affiliate Libraries
- Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance, free access to center-only databases, and to premium genealogical websites.
- FamilySearch Affiliate Libraries have access to most center-only databases, but may not always have full services normally provided by a family history center.
Local Centers and Affiliate Libraries
Websites[edit | edit source]
- The Lincoln County Idaho GenWeb Project, a member of The IDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project
- Idaho IDGenWeb
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Lincoln County, Idaho Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
References[edit | edit source]
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Lincoln County, Idaho Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/ida/lincoln/
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lincoln County, Idaho. Page 177-180 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 180-181.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lincoln, Idaho page 179, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Lincoln County,Idaho," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_County,_Idaho#Communities, accessed 11 June 2019.
- Idaho State Historical Society Reference Series, Number 10, Counties and County Seats, Reissued July, 1991.
- census.gov - Idaho population by county, 1900-90 accessed 2009-05-03
- quickfacts.census.gov - Canyon County accessed 2009-05-03