Korea Collection of Genealogies - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Korea, Collection of Genealogies, 1200-2014
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Korean Empire, 1897-1910|
|Title in the Language:||편집 한국 족보의 콜렉션|
|Chonbuk University, Jeonju, Jeollabuk-do|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection will include records from 1200 to 2014. These records include family biographies, genealogies, and histories.
Ancestors are based on the male family line. Children are raised to believe they can never repay their debt to their parents, hence the popularity of ancestor worship and the importance of genealogy records. They hold ancestral ceremonies for the previous three generations (parents, grandparents, and great grandparents) several times a year, particularly on Chusok and New Year's Day.
Genealogies and family histories are created because of the great cultural importance of family and lineage. Children are taught that the actions of one family member reflect on the rest of the family. Marriage also is thought of as a union of two families and a means to ensure the continuity of the husband's family line.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are in Korean. For help reading these records, see the following resources:
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Korea, Collection of Genealogies, 1200-2014.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Family name
- Town or village
- City or county
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of ancestor
- Place of birth
Search the Index[edit | edit source]
|This collection does not have a searchable index. Only images are available. See View the Images to access them.|
View the Images[edit | edit source]View images in this collection by visiting the Collection Browse Page:
- Select Family Name
- Select Country
- Select Province
- Select City or County
- Select Town or Village
- Select Title, Year, Volume/Page to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog Korea, Collection of Genealogies, 1500-2012. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the location to search for others records in that area
- Use the age to approximate a birth date
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
- Titles may be clues to property ownership, occupations, rank, or status within the community
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Korea.
FamilySearch Historical Records[edit | edit source]
- Korea Civil Service Examinations and Records of Officials and Employees - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Korea, Census Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Korea, Directories - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Korea, Encyclopedias and Dictionaries - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Korea, Legal Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Korea, Local History - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Korea, Military Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Korea, Obituaries and Cemetery Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Korea, Public Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Korea, School Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Korea, Social Life and Customs - FamilySearch Historical Records
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.