|Kentucky Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- 1787-1854 - Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854, ($)
- Rootsweb Kentucky Counties Obituary Index
- Genealogy Buff Obituary Files Scroll down to databases
- Kentucky Obituary Sources
- ObitsArchive.com Kentucky
- 1899-2012 United States, Obituaries, American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1899-2012 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index and images
- 1980-2014 United States, GenealogyBank Obituaries, 1980-2014 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index and images
- Free Obituary Look Ups - Facebook group of volunteers that will search through many sources to try and locate obituaries for free
Obituaries provide such information as the deceased’s name; age; birth date and place, including foreign town and country of birth; and parents’ names. They also contain the names and residences of living children, relatives, or other family members; maiden name; and occupation. Previously deceased family members are frequently mentioned. Obituaries have been published in Kentucky since the late-1700s. They may also indicate previous places of residence, immigration information, religion, and any social organizations or activities the deceased was involved in. For a publication on early Kentucky obituaries, see:
- Clift, Garrett Glenn. Kentucky Obituaries, 1787–1854. Baltimore, Maryland.: Genealogical Pub., 1977. FHL book 976.9 V28c. This includes obituaries from several newspapers reprinted in The Register of the Kentucky Historical Society, volumes 39 to 40. It is indexed.
Eastern Kentucky University Library Special Collections and Archives has compiled an index to obituaries and death notices from Madison County newspapers, beginning with 1823.
Obituary files may be kept in local public libraries and by newspaper publishers. Some obituaries have also been published and indexed in genealogical periodicals that are available in the Family History Library. These are referenced in the "Places" section of the PERiodical Source Index (PERSI), which is described in the "Periodicals" section.
Obituaries and indexes from a few individual newspapers may be found in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
- KENTUCKY - OBITUARIES
- KENTUCKY, [COUNTY] - OBITUARIES
- KENTUCKY, [COUNTY] - VITAL RECORDS
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Genealogy Buff Obituary Files Scroll down to databases.