Kentucky Cultural Groups
|Kentucky Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Cultural Groups[edit | edit source]
African American[edit | edit source]
Germans[edit | edit source]
- Smith, Clifford Neal. Early Nineteenth-Century German Settlers in Ohio (Mainly Cincinnati and Environs,) Kentucky, and Other States. McNeal, Arizona: Westland Publications, 1984. FHL book 973 W2smn no.20. This book contains abstracts of obituaries, membership records, and articles from the monthly German magazine Der Deutsche Pioniere (The German Pioneer). It includes an index and lists the name of the settler, his or her place of residence and origin, and the reference volume and page number.
Huguenot[edit | edit source]
- Original Papers Concerning the Huguenot and Walloon Lines. Frankfort, KY: Historical Society, [196–?]. (Family History Library FHL film 551317.) About half of the early pioneers of Kentucky were descended from French-speaking Protestants, including the Huguenots from southern France and the Walloons from southern Belgium. These unindexed papers contain the history of these two groups of people.
Indigenous Peoples[edit | edit source]
Polish[edit | edit source]
- Haiman, Miecislaus. Polish Pioneers of Virginia and Kentucky. 1937. Reprint, [Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library, 198–]. FHL book 973 B4p v.2. This book includes notes on the genealogies of Polish families, including the Sadowski family. It is unindexed.
Shakers[edit | edit source]
- Neal, Julia. The Kentucky Shakers. Lexington, KY: University of Kentucky Press, 1977 FHL book 976.9 F2n. This history of the Shakers from 1805 to 1922 is unindexed.
Swedish[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
See also United States Cultural Groups for additional resources.
Other records and histories of ethnic, racial, and religious groups in Kentucky are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
- KENTUCKY - MINORITIES
- KENTUCKY, [COUNTY] - MINORITIES
- KENTUCKY, [COUNTY], [TOWN] - MINORITIES
You will also find records in the Subject Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
- AFRO-AMERICANS - KENTUCKY
Records and Histories[edit | edit source]