Kentucky Deaths and Burials - FamilySearch Historical Records
|This is a Legacy Collection|
This collection is a partial index of records for this locality. The collection was originally assembled for publication in April 2010. Since that time only a few records may have been added. As no additional records will be added, or any corrections made to the data, this is considered to be a "Legacy" collection.
Where significant issues with the data have been identified, a Known Issues Wiki article has been created. See the table of contents of this article to see if one is available.
Many Legacy collections contain records from localities other than that which the collection is for. If available, please consult the coverage table to see what other localities may be included.
As this is an index of records compiled from various sources, it is strongly recommended that you verify any information you find with original records.
|Access the Records|
Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Kentucky|
|Location of Kentucky|
|Record Type||Deaths and Burials Index|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection is an index for the years 1843 to 1970. This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Burial date
- Burial place
- Death date
- Death place
- Birth date
- Date of death
- Marital status
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
A coverage table for this collection is available in the wiki article Kentucky Deaths and Burials, Coverage Table - FamilySearch Historical Records
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching the collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate date of death
- The place of death
- The names of family members and their relationships
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor’s death record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the death date or age along with the place of death to find the family in census records
- Use the residence to locate church and land records
- Occupations listed can lead you to other types of records such as employment records or military records
- The name of the informant may be a relative. This can be helpful in identifying your ancestor
- The name of the officiator is a clue to their religion
- The name of the undertaker or mortuary could lead you to funeral and cemetery records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Kentucky.
- Kentucky Guided Research
- Kentucky Record Finder
- Kentucky Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Kentucky Research, 1880-Present
FamilySearch Catalog[edit | edit source]
- Kentucky. Office of Vital Statistics. Births and deaths index, 1911-1954
- Kentucky. Office of Vital Statistics. Death index, 1911-1986
- Kentucky. Office of Vital Statistics. Death index, 1911-1995
- Kentucky. Office of Vital Statistics. Death Certificates, 1911-1962
- Kentucky. Office of Vital Statistics. Death Certificates, 1963
FamilySearch Historical Records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Digital Library[edit | edit source]
- Kentucky Historical Records Survey, Service Division, Work Projects Administration. Guide to public vital statistics records in Kentucky. Louisville, Kentucky : Historical Records Survey, 1942
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.